Hood to cowl weatherstripping

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Picked up the hood to cowl weatherstripping from CJ Pony.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-hood-to-cowl-seal-1971-1973/p/WSHC10/

It appears that there are no cut outs for the plastic clips to insert in the weatherstripping. 

Any tricks on how to install or maybe just use 3m double sided tape?
Cut a very small hole to get one side of the T end through, then stretch it carefully to get the other side in.  Put the old & new side by side to get the locations correct.  When you put the new one back, start at the middle and alternate left to right for the rest.  If the old one is still on the car, remove the two cowl vents so you can reach in for the stem end of the clips and push them out carefully.  From memory ( foggy at best ) there are little tabs either side which you need to squeeze together to release these ends.  If you do break one, then go to double sided tape as a last resort.  

Good fun.

PKJ

Edit: I should have looked at the CJP link first. New clips supplied so no problem if you break one but keep as spares anyway. Rest of my message still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I marked the holes using the old weatherstrip as a guide and pierced the holes with a soldering iron. Doing it this way the clips have less of a chance to tear the rubber and have the clips fall out.....

Thanks, Jay

mmm, good to know, so if I understand well, you pay 10buxx for 1 meter of basic rubber profile stamped as "cowl weatherstrip" without any plastic clips,

and you have to make it a real cowl weatherstrip...

Its a poor solution for sure. It looks nothing like the original in profile, but once you mark and place the holes and insert the clips it works. I wish someone would make a actual reproduction of this but im sure that every one of us would have to buy one to make it even close to feasible.

I am not 100% positive but I think Daniel Carpenter makes them correct. He does not sell direct only to Mustang parts suppliers. If you call NPD and ask them if he does they will tell you. I have used his Roof Rail rubber on both convertible and Mach 1 and they fit perfect. Did not even use glue they fit in the channel so good. He makes in Charlotte not China and has the original equipment they used back then.

During the MOM 55 last week they were giving tours of the production area. Since I worked in automotive for a long time I did not go in but those that did enjoyed seeing how parts were made.

Matched up both old and new to mark the holes and used a drill to punch out the new holes. Made sure to make a small hole and really needed to push in the new clips very carefully as not to rip the rubber. Worked out well. The old weatherstripping was really crushed down and weather beaten. Kept the old clips just in case. (Not sure why, but afraid to throw out).

Picks of old and new weatherstripping. Very happy with the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like all the repro cowl seals look the same. Would you be willing to part with 1 of your old clips?
Terry if he can't pm me I'll send you some

Back