Parking pawl

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Does anyone know if a parking pawl can be replaced with the transmission in the car? My car will not go into park. I got into an accident and now it rolls with it in park. The shop where my car is says they have the linkage adjusted correct, so not sure why they can’t get it to go into park. 

After the accident I know that the I put the car in neutral to pull up on the flatbed. I think maybe the actuating rod may have broken or somehow came off the shift lever. The car was never in park, so I really don’t think the pawl could have broke. Anyone have this happen before?

Because the parking pawl is at the rear of the transmission at the tailhousing it may be possible to get to it. However, the parking pawl rod may be what the problem is. The parking pawl rod pushes the parking pawl into the notches on the parking gear and engages. The parking pawl rod is the culprit more often than the actual pawl.

This should help

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if a parking pawl can be replaced with the transmission in the car? My car will not go into park. I got into an accident and now it rolls with it in park. The shop where my car is says they have the linkage adjusted correct, so not sure why they can’t get it to go into park. 

After the accident I know that the I put the car in neutral to pull up on the flatbed. I think maybe the actuating rod may have broken or somehow came off the shift lever. The car was never in park, so I really don’t think the pawl could have broke. Anyone have this happen before?
Do they know about the lock out rod on the column, that needs to be properly adjusted too.

That might be holding back the main rod

Do they know about the lock out rod on the column, that needs to be properly adjusted too.

+1 ::thumb::

Well Don, I think they do. Paul told me that they have everything all adjusted correct, but?

I do remember that I had to kinda move the shifter back and forth a few times before I could get it move freely. It felt like it was jammed up a bit and then it popped loose. But this was before they even came and picked up my car. And then the entire drivetrain was removed.

I just want it back here and I’ll have to deal with it.

Well Don, I think they do. Paul told me that they have everything all adjusted correct, but?

I do remember that I had to kinda move the shifter back and forth a few times before I could get it move freely. It felt like it was jammed up a bit and then it popped loose. But this was before they even came and picked up my car. And then the entire drivetrain was removed.

I’ll have to ask him about it

John, I think you should call the insurance co or the adjuster

The engine was hit by the pole

You paid for a engine rebuild ... I think they should have paid for a good chunk of that 

You paid extra to aline the fender and the door - something about repro parts ...  :chin:

You certainly shouldn't be footing the bill again on the trans

I'm starting to wonder about this shop ... you really need to talk to the ins adjuster...

You paid for a engine rebuild ... I think they should have paid for a good chunk of that 

You paid extra to aline the fender and the door - something about repro parts ...  :chin:  

I'm starting to wonder about this shop ... you really need to talk to the ins adjuster...
I am waiting to hear back from the insurance company. An adjuster was there last week to check out the transmission issue. Was supposed to hear back by today, but nothing as of yet.

Ya I had the engine rebuilt but why would insurance pay for any of it? They only paid for the stuff on the front of the engine that was damaged.

I didn’t pay anything extra for the extra work on the repo parts. The shop worked it out with the insurance company.

I agree that the insurance should take care of the transmission issue. That’s what I am trying to get done. But I do want to get it back home and deal with it here instead of 2 hours away.

Thanks Don, hopefully this is almost over. Just getting frustrated with some of this.

I am waiting to hear back from the insurance company. An adjuster was there last week to check out the transmission issue. Was supposed to hear back by today, but nothing as of yet.

Ya I had the engine rebuilt but why would insurance pay for any of it? They only paid for the stuff on the front of the engine that was damaged.

I didn’t pay anything extra for the extra work on the repo parts. The shop worked it out with the insurance company.

I agree that the insurance should take care of the transmission issue. That’s what I am trying to get done. But I do want to get it back home and deal with it here instead of 2 hours away.

Thanks Don, hopefully this is almost over. Just getting frustrated with some of this.
John, sorry I thought you posted they charged you extra for trying to aline the fender and door better and the ins co would not pay as it was a repro fender ?

I wouldn't expect them to pay for the engine rebuild but it was hit so as long as they covered some of it.

I just remember you getting hit with a large bill. Hope they take care of the trans for you

John, sorry I thought you posted they charged you extra for trying to aline the fender and door better and the ins co would not pay as it was a repro fender ?

I wouldn't expect them to pay for the engine rebuild but it was hit so as long as they covered some of it.

I just remember you getting hit with a large bill. Hope they take care of the trans for you
I did have to pay for them to replace the door hinges. They were original and really worn out. The accident didn’t damage those, that was up to me.

Well, of course it cost more than I thought it would for the engine rebuild, but it was not that big of a deal.

The part that was way more than I thought was the headers and custom h pipe.

And another thing that I didn’t expect was how screwed up my brakes were. Not that they didn’t work good, they actually did. But the guy that rebuilt my car hodgepodged the brakes together. He used a distribution valve instead of a proportioning valve for the front disc brakes. So I had them replace it with the correct valve and it leaked so they had to replace it with another new one. Then after that the master cylinder was leaking and it was pretty old and rusty so I had that replaced. They then discovered that the rear wheel cylinders were mismatched and one of the adjusters was froze up. Had all that rebuilt and then they still couldn’t get the brakes to bleed. Turns out the damn front calipers were on the wrong side. Paul said he has never had a car come in his shop like that, so it was about the last thing he checked. He said he feels horrible that it took so long to figure out. Hell, it’s my car and I never noticed it before and I have looked at them countless times. But, I never had to do anything to them.

Not really sure how they were bleed before, reverse bled? So they spent a ton of time screwing with them and getting them right. He sent me pics too so I wouldn’t think he was just trying to add more work.

So this has just snowballed into more work than I thought. Unbelievable

John if your looking for a new place to get your trans fixed. I recommend Oval Repairs in Livonia. They do nice work and you can deal with the owner. They specialized  in old Fords but will work on other cars. They fixed my leaky C6 and have no issues since then. Here their link.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/oval-repair-livonia

John J

John if your looking for a new place to get your trans fixed. I recommend Oval Repairs in Livonia. They do nice work and you can deal with the owner. They specialized  in old Fords but will work on other cars. They fixed my leaky C6 and have no issues since then. Here their link.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/oval-repair-livonia

John J
Hey thanks John that’s good to know. I have found a place that was recommended for working on the older cars. I talked to them earlier today actually. Plus they are only a few miles from me.

So I heard from the insurance company today and it was good news. They are going to cover the cost for the transmission to be removed and fix the parking pawl issue. I’m glad that it was no big problem with them, cause it was working before the accident, so it should be covered. It just took a couple weeks for them to approve it. I wasn’t sure if they would pay to remove it, but they are and I’m really glad.

So now, while it’s out and I have had everything else rebuilt, I will have it gone thru and make sure it’s all ok. Will have them do a rebuild or refreshed, whatever it needs and add a shift kit too. This hopefully won’t take to long, they said they can get to it in a couple of days.

I just heard from the shop where my car is at. I had them remove the transmission and take it to their transmission shop. The problem with the transmission not going into park is from a little clip that broke holding the actuating rod to the shift lever. Just as I thought and I’m glad that’s all that was wrong with it.

But now, while I’m having that fixed, I’m still going to go ahead and have him rebuild it. I think it would be dumb not to now, since I have had everything else done. Not really sure what was done to it before I got the car, so now I will. After seeing how some of the stuff was done wrong on my car, I have no choice. Plus the insurance covered the r and r to fix the parking issue, so that will help.

I just talked with them about how much for the rebuild and of course it depends on what needs to be done. 1200 max but that’s if it needs everything. I don’t think it’s that bad, but I’m not sure. Then they wanted 275 for a shift kit, which was including install, but not sure what one, so I said forget that, I will do it myself. Pretty sure I can get a good kit and an R servo if I want for about 200 bucks and do it myself. Plus my new trans pan has a drain plug, so that makes it even easier.

Back