My friend is in final stretch on 69 Firebird HO 4 speed.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I dropped by my friends shop to see if the Firebird was complete. As usual not just Mustangs have issues with repo parts. Most of the interior was wrong when it came, they send Camaro. Also the bumpers have been at the plating shop for 7 months.

This car was given to the owner for 2 months late rent. A numbers matching HO Firebird 4 speed. This is the third car Clay has done for the same man. He has a 68 428 Mustang fastback, and a 69 Black GTO Judge.

His cars usually win best paint or best overall at shows. One GTO won the Pontiac Nationals with over 800 entries first time out.

The floors, quarters, trunk and some other stuff was replaced on this one. Could not get good pictures a bad breaker in breaker box had half the lights out. Will get some when car is done outside so you can see how slick this thing is.

Has hood tach and ram air also is a ram air IV engine and did not need a rebuild. Did put a cam in to spice it up a little.

He is now on a Buick forget the model now while waiting for the interior stuff to come.

I do not like GM but the work that Clay does is hard to find. He will not even hire people he does it all.

Does anyone have an 8 Track tape player for one of these or know where one is?

what is the name of young duck

Awesome car- my first car in 1980 was a '68 GTO with that same color combination. Verdoro green with a black vinyl roof. If that car has a factory RA IV it is super-rare and worth the cost of the restoration.

It is a factory ram air  IV 4 speed for sure. I took the rust off the sweeping cast iron headers for him in the molasses. GM was a little sneaky at putting the ram air package on. None came from factory installed. They were in the trunk and dealer had to install even had to cut the hood. The instructions to do so are very difficult to locate since most were tossed when done.

Ford should have done that with the Q codes that were not certified.

He just needs the 8 Track tape player to make it complete as original.

Also, regarding this- "This car was given to the owner for 2 months late rent. A numbers matching HO Firebird 4 speed." Is the guy renting a penthouse suite? lol A Ram Air IV Pontiac is one heck of a car to give for two months late rent!

It was a deal for sure but it was rusty like most cars of the era. Have not got a total cost for the restore but usually in the $80,'s to $90's. So more than it would ever bring on the market even getting the car for free. The owner did not have him do a concourse restore. Does not have all the paint slashes and such but all metal has the correct date codes and the VIN# in on the cowl. 

BTW they are building I think 150 rental Town Houses 1/2 mile from me and yes a one bedroom rents for $5,000 a month. I get calls and letters wanting to buy my home that cost my parents $800 when they bought it, lol. Times do change.

But just like Mustangs a concourse restore costs way more than it would ever bring on the market even for a HO Bird or Boss 1.

I had posted some pics of this camaro that he did some detailing on, inside the trunk and lower paint and a few other items. It was a rare 396 car that came with the square port 427 heads from factory was a drag car all it's life and original inside and only sold for $45,000. I think 5,676 miles.

What we see on the auctions are good buddies creating a false market. If you took the same car to the auction it would get no attention.

image upload site

Back