fuel sending unit that isn't junk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
The second fuel sending unit (for my Cougar) in 3 years is junk. It checked good on the bench, close to Ford resistance values. It doesn't work, stays on empty with 8 gallons of gas in tank, gage checks good. The last one developed several cracks in the VERY THIN brass float and sank. The last two were "stainless steel" construction. Even the RobbMC sending unit appears to be the same electrically. Has anyone found a fuel sending unit that isn't absolute junk? If so please let me know what it is. I'm soooo tired of draining the fuel tank. Chuck

The second fuel sending unit (for my Cougar) in 3 years is junk. It checked good on the bench, close to Ford resistance values. It doesn't work, stays on empty with 8 gallons of gas in tank, gage checks good. The last one developed several cracks in the VERY THIN brass float and sank. The last two were "stainless steel" construction. Even the RobbMC sending unit appears to be the same electrically. Has anyone found a fuel sending unit that isn't absolute junk? If so please let me know what it is. I'm soooo tired of draining the fuel tank. Chuck
 Good question, what isn't junk these days.

After buying the Spectra Premium FG87A which has the wrong tube orientation, then having that replaced with the Dorman 692232 ( Rock Auto), That was May of 2017. I have so far had no problems with it. I did have to adjust the arm slightly to get it to read accurately at 1/4 tank. It dose have a brass float, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it won't fail anytime soon.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck, it looks like the Cougars are not immune to the junk part syndrome either. I believe you had told me once before that your Cougar is a 69. Problem is that both the 69 and 70 Cougars are Cougar and model year specific for the senders. There are two utilized for the 69 Cougar. With out low fuel (C9WY-9275-A    ID# C9WF-A)  and with low fuel sensor (C9WY-9275-C   ID# C9WF-C or D). Not much chance of finding the the low fuel version "C" as it was discontinued in mid 1979.

Don't know which vendors you have used in the past and since there are so many in the market now I'll let you be the judge of which ones not to contact. You remember all the BS Geoff (Stanglover) went through with the sender for his Mach 1.

NOS is still your best  bet if not insanely priced.  Green Sales (Which I have bought from)  shows two of the C9WY-A in their inventory. These are normally  NOS units bought from Ford Motor Company or from Ford and Lincoln/Mercury dealers. You can call or request a price online. Either way I would ask then to verify that it is a genuine Ford sender and not a re-pop someone has stuck them with.

https://www.rearcounter.com/C9WY-9275-A-parts57834.html

There is one I found on E-Bay but is proudly priced. Didn't look any further but there may be some others on the site reasonability priced. 

The brass float that comes on most of the repo senders are thin walled junk and leak just as bad as the plastic versions do. Ford still sales the original brass float but can be found at some Ford/Mustang parts vendors cheaper. I believe the Tri-Five Chevrolet site (55-56-57) even suggests using the Ford float on the repop senders made for their cars.   Ford # is COAZ-9202-A(***Replaced by "B"***). Just make sure the listing specifies genuine Ford.

Good luck with your search and let me know if you need any more info!    :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info there Steve, I'll admit I did not know there is a difference for the Cougar sending unit. I guess I just assumed it to be the same for Cougars and Mustangs. We all know what "Assumed" means!!

Perhaps I'll look for an NOS or Ford fuel float and just keep it for later needs.

Geoff.

Geoff, It can be confusing and overwhelming to those not used to all the codes and different applications across the Ford product line. The 67-68 Cougar used the same senders as the 67-68 Mustangs. The 69-70 Cougars used a Cougar specific sender. The 71-73 Cougars  offered an even better chance of receiving the incorrect sender. 1971-73 Cougar body style 65 and 76 ending in "F" were XR-7's and used a D1WY Cougar specific part number. (Low fuel warning was standard on XR-7). Body 65 and 76 with a "D" were the standard model (without low fuel warning) and used the D1ZZ Mustang senders. Two of the listings were for the 71 429 CJ Cougar that had the return line tube necessary for the Rochester carburetor and for with and without low fuel warning system.

Would be a good ideal to have one of the Ford brass floats on standby just in case. Some of the aftermarket I have seen leaked from poor soldering or ultra thin metal that cracked or had small dents.

The COAZ-9202-A Ford brass float I listed earlier has been replaced by COAZ-9202-B.  :)

Chuck, it looks like the Cougars are not immune to the junk part syndrome either. I believe you had told me once before that your Cougar is a 69. Problem is that both the 69 and 70 Cougars are Cougar and model year specific for the senders. There are two utilized for the 69 Cougar. With out low fuel (C9WY-9275-A    ID# C9WF-A)  and with low fuel sensor (C9WY-9275-C   ID# C9WF-C or D). Not much chance of finding the the low fuel version "C" as it was discontinued in mid 1979.

Don't know which vendors you have used in the past and since there are so many in the market now I'll let you be the judge of which ones not to contact. You remember all the BS Geoff (Stanglover) went through with the sender for his Mach 1.

NOS is still your best  bet if not insanely priced.  Green Sales (Which I have bought from)  shows two of the C9WY-A in their inventory. These are normally  NOS units bought from Ford Motor Company or from Ford and Lincoln/Mercury dealers. You can call or request a price online. Either way I would ask then to verify that it is a genuine Ford sender and not a re-pop someone has stuck them with.

https://www.rearcounter.com/C9WY-9275-A-parts57834.html

There is one I found on E-Bay but is proudly priced. Didn't look any further but there may be some others on the site reasonability priced. 

The brass float that comes on most of the repo senders are thin walled junk and leak just as bad as the plastic versions do. Ford still sales the original brass float but can be found at some Ford/Mustang parts vendors cheaper. I believe the Tri-Five Chevrolet site (55-56-57) even suggests using the Ford float on the repop senders made for their cars.   Ford # is COAZ-9202-A(***Replaced by "B"***). Just make sure the listing specifies genuine Ford.

Good luck with your search and let me know if you need any more info!    :)
Steve, Thanks for the detailed information, you are a wealth of factual and accurate information. I saw the two at Green Sales and I may buy one. I may first try to un-modify the original sender that I fitted with a 1/2" AN pickup when the car was being raced many years ago. The thermistor is open but replacements may be available. If so, I might be able to make the low fuel warning circuit functional again. So far I've not found any data on the electrical specifications for the thermistor. Modern cars seem to use values of 1K ohms and 135 mA max current.

The Cougar has always been difficult to find parts for and when you do they are expensive. So, building the 72 Mach 1 seemed easy, relatively speaking.

Thanks Again,

Chuck

Geoff, It can be confusing and overwhelming to those not used to all the codes and different applications across the Ford product line. The 67-68 Cougar used the same senders as the 67-68 Mustangs. The 69-70 Cougars used a Cougar specific sender. The 71-73 Cougars  offered an even better chance of receiving the incorrect sender. 1971-73 Cougar body style 65 and 76 ending in "F" were XR-7's and used a D1WY Cougar specific part number. (Low fuel warning was standard on XR-7). Body 65 and 76 with a "D" were the standard model (without low fuel warning) and used the D1ZZ Mustang senders. Two of the listings were for the 71 429 CJ Cougar that had the return line tube necessary for the Rochester carburetor and for with and without low fuel warning system.

Would be a good ideal to have one of the Ford brass floats on standby just in case. Some of the aftermarket I have seen leaked from poor soldering or ultra thin metal that cracked or had small dents.

The COAZ-9202-A Ford brass float I listed earlier has been replaced by COAZ-9202-B.  :)
 Steve, as Chuck so rightly says, you're a mine of accurate, detailed information and you deserve appreciation and thanks from us all.

As Mustangs and Cougars are, or perceived to be, basically the same car with different body panels by many of us less knowledgeable, it is quite surprising to learn of the many significant differences between the two. Thanks for the education!!

In  Chuck's post, probably I should have kept my fingers off the keypad!! "Assuming" got me into trouble, but the information you provided will serve to enlighten us all.

Geoff.

Back