73 351CJ 4V manual - carburetor crack

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustang_maria73

Reaction score
My Car
'73 q code convertible 4 spd

Pulled the Motorcraft D3ZF LA carburetor to clean and rebuild.  Found a crack (see pic) on base plate.  Can this be repaired?  if not, is it possible (likely) to find a base plate replacement or am I going to need to replace the whole carb?  Suggestions, please.

I don't know how hard to find or expensive that part is, but you can repair it for not much costs and some elbouw oil.

if its aluminium, open the crack with a Dremel with a grinding bit, degrease real good. heater with torch and when about 400deg, a welding aluminium rod should melt.

or even both type of metal with special rods for both aluminium and zinc based alloys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj0NjwBqsSg

many example videos on youtube...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help.  I'll run this by my friends to see if they have the know how to try this.  So far, the part hasn't been easy to find.  The few I have found were for the entire carb and cost $550-750.

Thanks for your help.  I'll run this by my friends to see if they have the know how to try this.  So far, the part hasn't been easy to find.  The few I have found were for the entire carb and cost $550-750.
I think you may need to put a bushing in for the primary throttle shaft after the crack in the base plate is repaired. If the shaft is loose in the hole it will allow air to enter below the throttle plates which can effect the carb tune. Might want to contact a place like All State Carb and see if they can repair it for you.

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'll check it out.  My friend also noted that the throttle blades seem somewhat bound.  Thoughts on that?

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'll check it out.  My friend also noted that the throttle blades seem somewhat bound.  Thoughts on that?
Possibly corrosion or if the crack was caused by dropping the base plate the shaft may be bent.

I think you may need to put a bushing in for the primary throttle shaft after the crack in the base plate is repaired. If the shaft is loose in the hole it will allow air to enter below the throttle plates which can effect the carb tune. Might want to contact a place like All State Carb and see if they can repair it for you.
I found All State Carb in NY. Is that the one?

I still have another storage area to search, but I think I have one with some damage up top, but a good baseplate.  will let you know tomorrow evening
Thanks again for checking! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  If you find it, let me know how much you want for it and the shipping and I'll get that to you.

do you have to much return spring tension   you just need enough to shut the valves   any more over time can case damage
How would I check or change that?  Also, what seems odd, is that my friend and I both remembered the blades moving easily before we cleaned it.

Any chance it got dropped, or fell off the work bench? The would account for the crack and jammed throttle shaft.
Yep.  My friend dropped it right after we pulled it.  I can't be mad at him since he's using his free time to help me. ; )  Just have to figure out how to we're going to fix or replace.  I've been reading about lots of issues with this carb (fuel leaks, etc.).  I thought I wanted to keep it original but since reading about the issues I'm wondering if it would be better to change it.  Your thoughts?

Back