I Scored a NOS Motorcraft Carb for my 250.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I've rebuilt several carbs over the years for my 73 6 cylinder but was never happy about how the engine was running. I searched for rebuilt carbs online and they were advertised from $199 to $399. I found a New Old Stock carb on eBay in its original Motorcraft boxthat had been marked down from $286 to $243 and included the electric solenoid with bracket, brass fittings for fuel filter and heat riser tube and the thick base gasket. The rebuilt carbs did not have any of these items on it. Hiopefully I will get it installed this week. 

Congrats on the find! You know, sometimes when I get real lucky like that, I think to myself, I should have bought a lottery ticket!

I never realized your '73 came with a 250 from the factory. That's awesome it has survived this long without a high perf V8 being dropped into the engine bay. Of course with you being the only owner, you were able to make sure that didn't happen. Were you ever tempted? I'd imagine it is a more pure driving experience. You don't have to think of drag racing every single car at lights. It happens to me all the time and normally I just ignore it. Different story when I was in my late teens and early 20's. heh Just the end of last season some guy comes flying up beside me in a Lexus SC400 (which came with a V8), and then he cuts into the left lane to turn at the light. I guess he thought he "beat" me since I was going straight and stuck behind other traffic. You have a beautiful '73 convertible there with that white exterior. And great find on that OEM carb!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never realized your '73 came with a 250 from the factory.  That's awesome it has survived this long without a high perf V8 being dropped into the engine bay.  Of course with you being the only owner, you were able to make sure that didn't happen.  Were you ever tempted?  I'd imagine it is a more pure driving experience.  You don't have to think of drag racing every single car at lights.  It happens to me all the time and normally I just ignore it.  Different story when I was in my late teens and early 20's.  heh  Just the end of last season some guy comes flying up beside me in a Lexus SC400 (which came with a V8), and then he cuts into the left lane to turn at the light.  I guess he thought he "beat" me since I was going straight and stuck behind other traffic.  You have a beautiful '73 convertible there with that white exterior.  And great find on that OEM carb!
Thanks. I've been tempted over the years to drop in a 302 or a 351. Someone actually gave me a 302 engine once but I never installed. I'm happy with the 250. Great cruiser and a lot of fun. The 250 is easy to work on too. Plenty of space under the hood. If I have a "need for speed" I have a 2004 Mach 1.  From the factory zero to 60 in 5.2 seconds. I do like the white Mustangs!

Mike-

If you like the space around your 250 but want more power, Ford of Australia made a 2v version of the 250 and later a crossflow 250. The crossflow was built up until sometime in the 2000's. Fuel injected and some turbo'd.

Here's a youtube link to a crossflow with three Webers....331hp/440tq.

Might be a bit much....the guy up in the Pacific Northwest that imports the aussie heads has a crossflow 2v for sale under a grand....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back