Rust where B pillar attaches to rocker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usafsac

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351 Cleveland
[url=https://ibb.co/C2hKY9t][img]https://i.ibb.co/RyzTs6S/image.jpg[/img][/url]
So the other day I was cutting rust out from my fender and got carried away. I cut out the bottom of the B pillar where it welds to the rocker. Does anyone know of a way to replace this or will I have to get a metal shop to fabricate some metal for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the boo boo.  Anyway, we have all made some mistakes.

First off, we can guide you better with a picture of the damage.  I would think if you were cutting you could have a pretty easy area to patch.  You can even re-weld the metal you inadvertently cut out if it is solid.

So option 1.  Yes, hot rod shops, body shops, and restoration shops have people skilled at shaping metal, so having a piece fabbed should be easy.  For 200-300 bucks I bet you could get it patched and blended in.

Option 2,  I would thing most any parts car could get you some solid B-pillar metal.  Common to all models fro 71-73 and not an area that tended to rust out.  I would try any Mustang vendor that parts out 71 through 73, Motor City Mustang, Ohio Mustang Supply, or forum members.

Like I said, start with a picture.

kcmash

Sorry to hear about the boo boo.  Anyway, we have all made some mistakes.

First off, we can guide you better with a picture of the damage.  I would think if you were cutting you could have a pretty easy area to patch.  You can even re-weld the metal you inadvertently cut out if it is solid.

So option 1.  Yes, hot rod shops, body shops, and restoration shops have people skilled at shaping metal, so having a piece fabbed should be easy.  For 200-300 bucks I bet you could get it patched and blended in.

Option 2,  I would thing most any parts car could get you some solid B-pillar metal.  Common to all models fro 71-73 and not an area that tended to rust out.  I would try any Mustang vendor that parts out 71 through 73, Motor City Mustang, Ohio Mustang Supply, or forum members.

Like I said, start with a picture.

kcmash

I will try to get a picture when I get home, (currently at work looking at car parts lol) but I have looked for B pillar patches/whole pillar and it doesn’t seem like I can find any for 71/73. The metal I took out was pretty well rusted through and there’s no saving it. Surprisingly the rocker panel under the weld was rust free!

Here is a online picture I found of the area I’m talking about.
2b7d94b2284aba69d66f0d65deefb6e5.jpg

First off, that is the A-pillar, not the B so A donor car is a good option.  Repairing that area is not for the faint of heart. I would hire that one out to a shop.

Second, our rocker panels were galvanized,  that's why they survive.

kcmash

First off, that is the A-pillar, not the B so A donor car is a good option.  Repairing that area is not for the faint of heart. I would hire that one out to a shop.

kcmash

I thought the A pillar was toward the front of the car and the B pillar was toward the rear? Was that picture not the correct location?

kcmash

I thought the A pillar was toward the front of the car and the B pillar was toward the rear? Was that picture not the correct location?

I believe the picture is the wrong location, my damage is on the rear pillar however in the same area. My apologies.

That's fine, I was just wanting to make sure.  Yes, the A-pillar is toward the front and has the door hinge mounts, the B-pillar is mid-vehicle and has the door striker post/latch, and the C-pillar is between the rear 1/4 window and the back glass, (Great big on our cars.)  If you have a wagon like the Explorer, Expedition, or Flex you get a D-pillar.

You should be able to find a b-pillar as I suggested earlier.

kcmash

Not a good one of the B Pillar here is best I have from seller. I am trying to pick up one from a guy around here to part out if I can get him down on price. If I can work out the deal with him and it is the same (maybe some of our more knowledgeable members here will chime in) I will let you know what kind of shape it is in.

Not a good one of the B Pillar here is best I have from seller. I am trying to pick up one from a guy around here to part out if I can get him down on price. If I can work out the deal with him and it is the same (maybe some of our more knowledgeable members here will chime in) I will let you know what kind of shape it is in.

The curvature looks the same as my 72, if you end up getting it let me know.

Cougar and Mustang used different B-pillar part numbers - D1ZZ vs D1WY. My guess is the real difference is the curvature of the edge that meets the quarter and the area the OP needs will be the same, or close enough.

Cougar and Mustang used different B-pillar part numbers - D1ZZ vs D1WY. My guess is the real difference is the curvature of the edge that meets the quarter and the area the OP needs will be the same, or close enough.

Thank you for the info! If it’s close enough I should be able to get it to fit and weld it down, I’m not going for a show quality finish, just a weekend driver!

I still would think you can use your cut out as a pattern and repair what you have.  Use a bodyshop and they can fab that for you easy.

kcmash

I still would think you can use your cut out as a pattern and repair what you have.  Use a bodyshop and they can fab that for you easy.

kcmash

Unfortunately my cutout was rusted through and got mangled when pulled out.

Back