Need Help-Advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1972 fb
I took my 71 and had the front end Alignment. New tires and the rear springs replaced. When I left the shop i thought I had a Flat . No flat Go the car up to about 50 Shakes like hell. Took it back to the shop they could not find anything wrong.Every thing on front end is new. I drove 35 mph back home this car is shaking bad and rides rough. Help thanks.

Here are the alignment specs I am at and the car handles fantastic and rides smooth.....

Toe in .22

Neg Camber 1.1 on both sides

Caster of 2.5 on drivers and 2.85 on passenger (not quite as much as I wanted but couldn't get there without shims and he did not want to go that route as it would have caused interference with the stabilizer bar)

This is a link to the thread where it was discussed. If you can post your alignment sheet or type out what they aligned to that would be helpful...

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-alignment-specs?highlight=alignment+specs

Shaking: out of balance, excessive run-out on wheel (bent), wheel bearing worn/loose, Idler arm loose or worn. Rough: excessive tire pressure, the new spring are too stiff. I'm sure I've left something out. Have them swap the position of the wheels front to back to see if the symptoms change. If you feel the shake in the steering wheel the problem is in the front, if you feel it in the seat it is likely in the rear. Out of balance/bent driveshaft will also cause a shake mostly felt in the seat. If they can't find the cause(s) you may need to find more skilled technicians (in my day mechanics). Let us known what you find out. Chuck

Where is the shaking coming from, the steering wheel or the seat of your pants?

It sounds like a tire balance problem, bent wheel, wheel not mounted correctly (hub centric/lug centric, not sitting flush on mounting surface), or could be driveshaft balance or bent driveshaft, u-joint.

It could also be a tire with a bulge, separated or overlapping belts.

I vote for out of balance.

I had a shop give me all kind of run around, (with my regular car) telling me they did all kind of fancy balancing on brand new wheels and tires that I had shipped to them from online. Must be something wrong with the wheels or tires.

Took it to another shop and they had it balanced and riding smoothly in a half hour. Said all the tires were way out of balance. Nothing that a couple weights couldn't fix.

Back