Trunk. Paint or Undercoat?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambot

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hello everyone, working on my 1971 mach 1 next weekend, am currently cleaning/removing rust from trunk, sanding, and then the big question. Should I paint the trunk, or use undercoat?

I’m getting ready myself and I think I’m going to use lizard skin on the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is really no reason to put undercoating inside the trunk. After you get all the rust off you can I would seal it up with a coat of POR. Best to use a brush also you can get much better coverage than with spray. That is the reason the tail light panels rusted so bad. They got no primer or paint on the surface where the gasket went so rusted the first time you washed the car. I myself have never found a paint that even looked close to original spatter paint.

There is really no reason to put undercoating inside the trunk. After you get all the rust off you can I would seal it up with a coat of POR. Best to use a brush also you can get much better coverage than with spray. That is the reason the tail light panels rusted so bad. They got no primer or paint on the surface where the gasket went so rusted the first time you washed the car. I myself have never found a paint that even looked close to original spatter paint.

what do you think about Lizard skin product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I put lizard skin and painted it black. (my stang is black)Undercoat is too soft and will scratch easily. Upol now makes 2k raptor bedliner in aerosol. None of this will look original. Zolotone spatter paint is another option. More and more custom car builders that I know are going the lizard skin route.

I did Lizard skin and Dup-color splatter gray. Sorry Pic doesn't show the splatter because of the texture of the Lizard skin. It takes about 5-6 cans to get good coverage so not see paint streaks.

IMG_1797.JPG

The factory applied undercoating to the insides of the quarter panels, guessing it was for sound deadening purposes. I still have quite a bit in mine since I only needed to replace the lower sections, so I resprayed deadener on the quarters. I also helps to hide the weld seams.... :D

For the trunk floor I used POR15 topped with the spatter gray and the clear overcoat. I have to redo the spatter paint as it's worn down over the last 13 years.

After the Rust Bullet coats I used UPOL bedliner (by brush since there was no spray option back then), then Boom Mat spray over the fenders and completed with a top coat of Duplicolor trunk paint. As a note, top coating the Boommat did not work that well since it looks yellowish in those areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back