• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 71 Mach 1 auto to top loader swap. Need parts!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSteng890

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, 351C
Hi all! In the process of restoring a 71 mach 1 auto and looking to convert it over to a top loader. I need everything for the swap. Let me know what you have to offer! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts are available..... maybe, but not cheap and you'll still likely to need to rebuild the top loader and shifter.

Personally if I were going the 4 speed rout on a conversion and I think others will agree, buy a Tremek 5 speed or even a 6 speed. Check out "Modern Drivelines" as I believe they have everything to do a far better conversion.

That's just what I'd be looking at, but your choice of course.

Geoff.

There's nobody that likes a 4-speed better than me, but I agree with Geoff, if I were going to convert, it would be to at least a 5-speed. Nothing like having low gears and an overdrive, got it on both ends that way.

I have a 4-speed/Manual pedal box I can part with.

kcmash

Oh and I have a couple of 5 Speeds. In the Kansas City area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piecing everything together can get pricey. Things like the clutch fork in particular may be hard to find and expensive

Buying everything together at at around 2k. + and having to restore the components gets you into buying a whole parts car and selling off what you don't need territory. All that makes the tko conversion pretty attractive in the long run.

Hi all! In the process of restoring a 71 mach 1 auto and looking to convert it over to a top loader. I need everything for the swap. Let me know what you have to offer! Thanks!
Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Go to the introduction page and introduce yourself. This is a great site with a bunch of great guys. Good luck with your build!

I do have everything from flywheel to drive shaft but it would be very expensive.

If you try to buy pieces it will take forever to find them.

The pedal assemblies are different for manual brakes and power also.

A rough list:

Roller bearing pilot bushing in crankshaft.

Flywheel

Clutch disc

Pressure plate

Throw out bearing

Clutch fork

Adjusting rod

Tension spring for adjusting rod

Z-Bar with bushings

Z-Bar pivot bracket on chassis

Z-Bar pivot bracket for Bell housing

Clutch pedal to Z bar rod

Clutch Brake pedal assembly

Transmission cross member, Some auto are same as manual.

Transmission rubber mount

Top Loader Transmission, Dan Williams will rebuild for $350 + parts but shipping is a killer. http://toploadertransmissions.com/dwt-rebuilding-service.php

Shifter, 71 had a flat shifter 72 73 round

Shifter boot very difficult to find good for flat shifter

Some early cars had a rubber boot cover on the shifter under floor

Plastic shifter boot trim goes under console

Drive shaft

Might need speedometer gear change not sure?

Did not list bolts you can make do if you do not have.

So that is quite a shopping list to go find individual pieces. As someone stated a good rusty parts car is your best bet or keep and eye out on the insurance sites for crashed cars.

I doubt that $3,000 would by my complete set up.

Going with 5 speed is for sure easier in some ways but also not just a cheap solution.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Back