302 2V new cam, which upgrades necessary

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971V8

Reaction score
My Car
1971 convertible 302 2V
1999 Dodge Ram V10 longbed
Hi,

want to change stock cam to Compcam Nostalgia Plus Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshaft, N+271S: Cam & Kit K 31-671-4, Solid-Outstanding power & modern tight lash with Ford 271 HP 289 cam character...

which additional changes are to be done.

does my stock carb fit or do I have to change mainjet or other settings on Autolite 2100 Carb?

is a change to 4V carb and manifold necessary?

71 Ford Mustang

302 cui Windsor V8, 2-barrel, carb. Autolite 2100, F-code 210 bhp @ 4,600rpm

Converter 2500 stall, C4, 3,0 axle

thank you

Wolfgang

Hi

this is the advertisement- hope to believe it...

The latest and advanced camshaft technology gives you the sound and excitement of the muscle car era, with additional power you can feel.

Ford 289-302 C.I. 8 cyl. 1963-1995

Solid-Outstanding power & modern tight lash with Ford 271 HP 289 cam character.

NOSTALGIA PLUS Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshaft

as I am rebuilding stock engine and head the idea was to change cam and timing and Rockers, pushrods,

dual exhaust 2 1/2"

in case 2V manifold and 2100 carb are to be used:

actual carb is D1AF-9510-DA

Bore 1.56

Venturi 1.08

CFM 2.87

53F Mainjet

is a changing to higher values recommended?

thanks for your informations

Wolfgang

These are the specs on the cam....

RPM Range: 200 to 6800

Duration: 262 - 269

Lobe Separation: 112

Duration @ .050" Lift: 225 - 232

Intake Centerline: 108

Valve Lift: .495 - .495

IMHO that cam would be a complete waste with a 2bbl intake and carb. I would suggest a nice dual plane 4 bbl intake and a VS 4bbl carb in the 600 CFM range. It should work decent with your trans and gear ratio, would be better with some 3.5 gears though. Just my opinion, others may chime in as well. You may want to also consider upgrading to a set of headers with that set up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the specs on the cam....

RPM Range:   200 to 6800

Duration: 262  -  269    

Lobe Separation: 112

Duration @ .050" Lift: 225  -  232    

Intake Centerline: 108

Valve Lift:  .495  -  .495  

IMHO that cam would be a complete waste with a 2bbl intake and carb. I would suggest a nice dual plane 4 bbl intake and a VS 4bbl carb in the 600 CFM range. It should work decent with your trans and gear ratio, would be better with some 3.5 gears though. Just my opinion, others may chime in as well. You may want to also consider upgrading to a set of headers with that set up as well.
thank you

want to use Hedman Elite Heavy-Duty Headers

is there any possibility to keep the 2bbl intake?

No. The cam and headers would be a waste. While I think they make some sort of adapter to put a 4bbl carb on a 2bbl intake it is by no means a good solution.

I agree with Jason. It makes no sense to put in a cam like that and keep a 2 barrel carburetor. Headers with a 2 barrel carburetor is futility, the two barrels won't supply enough air into the engine to need headers. You will also need to increase the compression ratio to at least 10:1. Jason is also correct about the rear end ratio, 3.0 is too high. The only thing you have good is a 2,500 RPM stall converter.

You can't add a camshaft and expect power improvements without taking the entire engine into consideration. The only different camshaft that might make a noticeable difference is an "RV" cam, that is designed to work with a stock engine with 2 barrels. It would give you a little more bottom end that would work with your 3.0 differential.

Download one of the spreadsheets in this thread and play around with the various parameters, and you will get a better idea of what goes into camshaft selection.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-camshaft-selection?pid=278395#pid278395

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that in order to optimize the power potential of a camshaft, one should consider the whole package. Induction, exhaust, gearing, stall (if auto), etc. can come into play, which is why you'll see camshaft manufacturers make recommendations/notes about the aforementioned when choosing an upgrade.

thank you all for your appreciated expert comments !

now it is clear for me to change to a 600cfm 4bbl

what do you think about Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold and Carburetor Kits 2031

does the stock air cleaner 2V fit to this carb (diameter) (it should not be visible as homologation will not be easy without stock system here in EU, Austria)

Yes, the diameters are the same. However, the filter element has to be able to flow enough air for a 4 barrel carburetor, which leads back to previous statements about everything being compatible.

Because K&N filters flow better than paper filters, you may be able to use one of them in your stock air cleaner. Here's how to calculate the size you'll need

https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/filter_facts.aspx

Back