Convertible trunk mounting - screw locations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Need some info on the differences of 71-3 trunk mounting screw locations.

The trunk horns have plates inside with tacked nuts that align to secure the trunk.

My friend's car has three holes on one horn and two on the other. (not sure which but I'll find out)

He has a new repro trunk lid and the holes are not lining up.  Looks like we will be required to drill some holes in the inner lid to attach. 

So I'd like to ask if you own a convertible - please take a pic of how your screws attach to these horns.  For 1973 they attach on the side using two farthest outboard holes seem to be correct.  Some attach from the bottom??? (1972?)   Then others attach on the side using the top and next hole down (1971?).  Please include build date of your car.   These horns are welded so I doubt they get swapped much.

Now that I look at this a little more closely - I realize someone could take the plates out of one horn and place it in another.  So that type of swap could happen relatively easy.  So I guess I'm looking for very original cars to compare.  :)

Here is a pic of a 71 I found online.

1971 convertible trunk.jpg

Thanks!

Ray

Need some info on the differences of 71-3 trunk mounting screw locations.

The trunk horns have plates inside with tacked nuts that align to secure the trunk.

My friend's car has three holes on one horn and two on the other. (not sure which but I'll find out)

He has a new repro trunk lid and the holes are not lining up.  Looks like we will be required to drill some holes in the inner lid to attach. 

So I'd like to ask if you own a convertible - please take a pic of how your screws attach to these horns.  For 1973 they attach on the side using two farthest outboard holes seem to be correct.  Some attach from the bottom??? (1972?)   Then others attach on the side using the top and next hole down (1971?).  Please include build date of your car.   These horns are welded so I doubt they get swapped much.

Now that I look at this a little more closely - I realize someone could take the plates out of one horn and place it in another.  So that type of swap could happen relatively easy.  So I guess I'm looking for very original cars to compare.  :)

Here is a pic of a 71 I found online.

Thanks!

Ray
Ray...I can't figure out what you need? Have no idea what a horn is in the trunk? Happy to take a pic but don't know what your looking for.

Jeff

I believe he may be referring to the bracket the decklid mounts to. The brackets that are attached to the underside of the header panel between the trunk and convertible top well. I have pictures of the untouched 73 vert on a different computer. I will respond tomorrow with those.

I believe he may be referring to the bracket the decklid mounts to. The brackets that are attached to the underside of the header panel between the trunk and convertible top well. I have pictures of the untouched 73 vert on a different computer. I will respond tomorrow with those.
100% correct.  Trunk hinge/bracket Thanks, Brian!

Coupe/conv ones have square tube end with bolt plates slid inside.  Some years bolted up from side using different holes in square tube end and others from the bottom.

s-l1600.jpg

One example of bolt plate. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Ray

Ray,

My 1973 June built vert has two mounting holes on the side with the brackets you posted previously. The brackets from 69-70 are very similar and will work on 73. I don't think 71 and 72 are any different. I believe there is a difference with the way the key lock cylinder attaches to the lid on 73s compared to previous years. I had bought an original trunk lid from a 71 or 72 vert/coupe and after painting it, I notice that there was no slot cut out in the bottom of the lid to slide the key cylinder fastener clip into. I had to carefully cut the slot with a dremel to mount the trunk key cylinder. Not sure if the aftermarket trunks have the slot or not. I just mention it so you can check now before you have to cut it later as I did. I can get you the location and dimensions of the slot if you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Ray sent me link to this post in PM. I have 2 1973 and 3 1972 convertibles and the trunks all mount to the hinge the same way bolts from side with the clip in nut plate inside the tube.

I believe the mount for the lock was a change I think the 71 was the odd ball there and also had the Mustang letter across the back of the lid.

Here is my 72 Q and some of a 72 crashed vert. I cut the filler out to go in the Q was much better than the one in it. I think they are all the same but I have not 71 to look at.

Latest posts

Back