Stripping paint for days.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usafsac

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351 Cleveland
[url=https://ibb.co/C2hKY9t][img]https://i.ibb.co/RyzTs6S/image.jpg[/img][/url]
Was in the process of stripping the paint and sanding it down when I decided to clean the garage. Pulled her into the sun for a bit and let it run. Figured I’d grab a picture for everyone.

96ad1658c32950fad715eece0b63ef45.jpg
ed6e4acfee470d2117d8316162e4283e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's a ton of work for sure. Are you going back to yellow again?

Definitely! I love how the yellow looks on these cars.

Me too.

Just gotta wait for the $$ to get it sprayed lol

Can't wait to see what you come up with!  I agree they look very cool in yellow.   ::thumb::

Are you using a chemical stripper?

I used some aircraft paint stripper from O'Reilly Auto Parts and was pretty much done in an afternoon (minus the doors, that is).  Brushed it on, the paint puckered up like in the 2nd picture, then I scraped it off into a garbage bag.  I wore safety glasses, a respirator, nitrile gloves under giant rubber cleaning gloves, was careful to not sling anything around, and still wound up with a couple of itchy red areas on my forearms and a couple of new holes in my clothes.   

stripped1.jpg

stripped2.jpg

stripped3.jpg

I also had the hood soda blasted, but it wasn't as effective as I was hoping for, so I spent a weekend wearing out/changing out sanding discs, and boy did that suck.

That's a lot of work!

Glad for you there is no surprises bellow the paint! Don't think I'll be that lucky..

I can't sand anything at my place or this means live in dust land forever. Instead I use like Mr4x4 chemical strippers... only the "good" ones, like aircraft are forbidden in Europe as they are highly toxic, so we have to deal with "environment friendly" alternatives. And when you find one that actually works (after trying a few doing absolutely nothing.. ), the next prob is that they need the weather to be nice and warm. At least 15c/50F. Bellow 10c/32F, applying just soften the paint, not the pain, learned that the hard way with my hood last november... nice weather for one side and temp dropped and getting it totally bare was really no fun.

But I must say that when it works, it saves really a lot of work and mess is minimal.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!  I agree they look very cool in yellow.   ::thumb::

I used some aircraft paint stripper from O'Reilly Auto Parts and was pretty much done in an afternoon (minus the doors, that is).  Brushed it on, the paint puckered up like in the 2nd picture, then I scraped it off into a garbage bag.  I wore safety glasses, a respirator, nitrile gloves under giant rubber cleaning gloves, was careful to not sling anything around, and still wound up with a couple of itchy red areas on my forearms and a couple of new holes in my clothes.   

I also had the hood soda blasted, but it wasn't as effective as I was hoping for, so I spent a weekend wearing out/changing out sanding discs, and boy did that suck.

I feel that! I used the aircraft stripper as well, stuff really works! It took 2 gallons to get down to metal/primer. The car was repainted before so I had several layers to go through. Now that I got 95% of it off I’m using a 80 grit sander to remove the last little bits.

Was in the process of stripping the paint and sanding it down when I decided to clean the garage. Pulled her into the sun for a bit and let it run. Figured I’d grab a picture for everyone.

I can't believe you are using the stripper with those nice wheels and tires on the car.  I would put her on jacks or cheap old wheels and tires.

kcmash

I can't believe you are using the stripper with those nice wheels and tires on the car.  I would put her on jacks or cheap old wheels and tires.

kcmash

I had them taped off with plastic! [emoji106]

I feel that! I used the aircraft stripper as well, stuff really works! It took 2 gallons to get down to metal/primer. The car was repainted before so I had several layers to go through. Now that I got 95% of it off I’m using a 80 grit sander to remove the last little bits.

Ah - multiple coats of paint. Gotcha. Mine was just the original paint, albeit very sunburned (believe it or not, the paint on mine was Light Pewter Metallic after 40+ years).

Be careful with the lead seams on the A-pillars and where the upper quarters meet the roof.

Carry on, Brutha! She's comin' along nicely! ::thumb::

Ah - multiple coats of paint. Gotcha. Mine was just the original paint, albeit very sunburned (believe it or not, the paint on mine was Light Pewter Metallic after 40+ years).

Be careful with the lead seams on the A-pillars and where the upper quarters meet the roof.

Carry on, Brutha! She's comin' along nicely! ::thumb::

Lucky you!!!

I taped most of my seams off and am gonna work on hand sanding those down, then neutralize the stripper, fix the body and paint! Got big plans little money haha

Your farther along than me! Looking good!!

my apologies for not stating above that my car is now completed. This pic was the Fall of 2015. Keep with it, it will be worth the effort.

Your farther along than me! Looking good!!

my apologies for not stating above that my car is now completed. This pic was the Fall of 2015. Keep with it, it will be worth the effort.

Did you strip down to bare metal? My primer is staying stuck in most places, I was going to just sand down smooth. What was your technique?

Back