In search of....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop

Argghh... My words did not show up here with the picture... i’ll Try the Short version: I am looking for this dealer’s emblem to put on my vert, kind of the crowning completion for my restoration. Any Utah or Salt Lake City members here? If you are in a wreckers, could you keep an eye out for me... I will happily pay a finder’s fee. As a side note: a few years back I helped a guy from Nebraska obtain some dealership promotional paperwork from a long ago scuttered Ford dealer here in Toronto. He had bought a ‘70 B9 and brought down south. While I was on the road here as a fire inspector in Toronto, I tracked down some items for him from various Ford outlets in our area. He was grateful, I was happy to help a fellow Ford enthusiast...

Last edited by a moderator:
You prob already saw these items.  But if not - here ya go.  Should be a lot of stuff avail. from this dealer.

Bennetts Ford.JPG

Bennetts Ford a.JPG

Bennetts Ford b.JPG

You could take your trunk emblem pic to a 3d printer and have it made then spray it with some chrome paint.  Just an idea.

Best of luck.

Ray

You prob already saw these items.  But if not - here ya go.  Should be a lot of stuff avail. from this dealer.

You could take your trunk emblem pic to a 3d printer and have it made then spray it with some chrome paint.  Just an idea.

Best of luck.

Ray
Thx Ray. I had seen the top two items... I hope to find this piece and getting the word out always helps. I need to get to some junk yards in Utah:)

Wow.  I wish things were a little different in life - I actually grew up in Sandy, Utah (SLC suburb) and I would love to go on this quest... but living in San Angelo, Texas doesn't do much to help the cause.

I'm pretty sure the token Ray posted isn't what you're after, but here's the link to the site where I think he found the token image listed:  http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=196816&inventory_id=143285&attribution_id=199827

The car dealership that currently occupies the site of the old Bennett Ford is Ken Garff Hyundai Downtown.  Maybe they have some historical/heritage items, or know where to find some.  http://www.kengarffhyundaidowntown.com

The Rick Warner Body Shop across from Ken Garff Hyundai on 700 South (north side) might also have some resources available, since I believe Ken Garff bought the property the Hyundai stealership from Rick Warner who owned Rick Warner Ford, which was one of the big Ford houses downtown way back in the day when I was a kid.  Interestingly enough, Rick Warner worked for Bennett Ford, bought it in 1964, and renamed it Rick Warner Ford in 1971.  I didn't know he worked for Bennett Ford before reading this source: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/680192716/Business-leader-Rick-Warner-dies.html

These are the dealership trunk badges I remember seeing (again, probably not what you're looking for):

images

Hope this helps!

Wow.  I wish things were a little different in life - I actually grew up in Sandy, Utah (SLC suburb) and I would love to go on this quest... but living in San Angelo, Texas doesn't do much to help the cause.

I'm pretty sure the token Ray posted isn't what you're after, but here's the link to the site where I think he found the token image listed:  http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=196816&inventory_id=143285&attribution_id=199827

The car dealership that currently occupies the site of the old Bennett Ford is Ken Garff Hyundai Downtown.  Maybe they have some historical/heritage items, or know where to find some.  http://www.kengarffhyundaidowntown.com

The Rick Warner Body Shop across from Ken Garff Hyundai on 700 South (north side) might also have some resources available, since I believe Ken Garff bought the property the Hyundai stealership from Rick Warner who owned Rick Warner Ford, which was one of the big Ford houses downtown way back in the day when I was a kid.  Interestingly enough, Rick Warner worked for Bennett Ford, bought it in 1964, and renamed it Rick Warner Ford in 1971.  I didn't know he worked for Bennett Ford before reading this source: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/680192716/Business-leader-Rick-Warner-dies.html

These are the dealership trunk badges I remember seeing (again, probably not what you're looking for):

images

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this info.!

images

Hope this helps!

Just read the article on Rick Warner... Interesting in that he renamed  the Bennett Ford Dealership to Rick Warner Ford in 1971. My Marti Report shows the car being delivered to Bennett Ford in late March, 1971 from Dearborn. Must have just been before the change of name for the Rick Warner Ford dealership... It might be possible that the car sat long enough on the lot to have the Rick Warner emblem applied?... I could probably put that badge on the car, would make for interesting conversation. Sadly, I have no paperwork to confirm the date of sale and under which dealership...

Very interesting information here. Ironic that my 72 sold just up the road new at Ogden Ford off Wall St. in Ogden UT. Interesting that our cars started off their lives not to far from each other and have come full circle to be restored and talked about on this site. I have extensively researched the old dealership for the very same memento you are looking for. The dealership was sold to Westfield Ford in the early 80's. The building on Wall St. was abandoned many many years ago and fell into really bad disrepair. I spoke with the owner of the building a few years ago and he stated when he bought it the roof was partially collapsed and no old items were left by prior owners. I spoke with the GM and Westfield and he also stated they would have nothing left from Ogden Ford. While at the MCA National in Houston in March I ran across a couple folks from the Salt Lake area and gave them my name and number and asked for their help finding any old memorabilia. No response yet, but praying they may be able to find something. I do have an old newspaper add from 71 for Ogden Ford I found in library online archives. I printed that out and have it, but nothing else.

If this post would find someone in the greater Salt Lake area that could help out both of us that would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have been fortunate enough to find a dealer frame for my 67 GT on eBay so I do a regular search there as well to see what I can find.

I finally got to see the original Bennett Ford image 7173Vert posted (the proxy server blocks most images here at work) and it looked very familiar to me.  I believe my Mom's '69 Galaxie 500 might've had that badge on the trunk (I was 3-10 at the time, and it's not something I remember specifically... but it did seem familiar).  She traded the Galaxie 500 for a '75 Mustang II from Butterfield Ford, which I don't believe was even around back in '71 when she bought it used, so there's a good chance it originally came from Bennett as well (I have no idea if they put dealership badges on used cars back then or not).

Not really pertinent information, other than to establish that there weren't nearly as many Ford dealerships in SLC back then.  For instance, Middlekauff Ford was new in the '80s (now vacated to Idaho), Colonial Ford folded up sometime in the late '70s, absorbed by Larry H. Miller following some litigation, and there was a Petty Ford - also absorbed by Larry H. Miller.  Another useless nugget of information, I actually went to high school with Larry Miller's sons, Greg and Roger Miller - and Larry Miller bought the New Orleans Jazz NBA team and moved 'em to Utah.

I still think Rick Warner Body Shop might be the best tree to shake at this point.

Stupid question: do you have any of the Eminger documents, and what do they say (Bennett, I imagine)?  I'm just wondering if the window sticker was available as part of that documentation, and if they had changed the name on that documentation yet [before the time of sale].

I'm still pokin' around... hopefully, not just as a distraction.

I finally got to see the original Bennett Ford image 7173Vert posted (the proxy server blocks most images here at work) and it looked very familiar to me.  I believe my Mom's '69 Galaxie 500 might've had that badge on the trunk (I was 3-10 at the time, and it's not something I remember specifically... but it did seem familiar).  She traded the Galaxie 500 for a '75 Mustang II from Butterfield Ford, which I don't believe was even around back in '71 when she bought it used, so there's a good chance it originally came from Bennett as well (I have no idea if they put dealership badges on used cars back then or not).

Not really pertinent information, other than to establish that there weren't nearly as many Ford dealerships in SLC back then.  For instance, Middlekauff Ford was new in the '80s (now vacated to Idaho), Colonial Ford folded up sometime in the late '70s, absorbed by Larry H. Miller following some litigation, and there was a Petty Ford - also absorbed by Larry H. Miller.  Another useless nugget of information, I actually went to high school with Larry Miller's sons, Greg and Roger Miller - and Larry Miller bought the New Orleans Jazz NBA team and moved 'em to Utah.

I still think Rick Warner Body Shop might be the best tree to shake at this point.

Stupid question: do you have any of the Eminger documents, and what do they say (Bennett, I imagine)?  I'm just wondering if the window sticker was available as part of that documentation, and if they had changed the name on that documentation yet [before the time of sale].

I'm still pokin' around... hopefully, not just as a distraction.
The Eminger report was prepared March 23, 1971 and the car was sold to Bennett Ford... I have sent out some e-mails yesterday to various SL City wrecker's and to the Rick Warner Body Shop as well...

I knew you'd have that information - I don't even know why I asked.  For some reason, I was just thinking that maybe there was a copy of an actual 'window sticker' (data sheet) with the Eminger documentation that might've been after the name had changed.  Sounds like a dead end on that line.

Hopefully, you'll get some good info back from your e-mail fishing trip.

Found this on the auction web site... On it's way to Buffalo :)  Search is over, I can live with this...

Yes, that is getting up there. Even I would second guess those at that price. I guess, if I had original documentation  or pictures that showed dealer license plate covers on the car when it was sold; I would be pursuing. But I like to see other people spend their money too :)

Back