Ignition resistor location

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I'm trying to figure out where the resistor is in the ignition coil feed.  The "i" terminal on the starter solenoid supplies 12v at startup, then it runs on lower voltage thru the resistor.   I was looking around under the hood and didn't spot it. I'm sure someone could tell me or show a picture of where its located.

Thanks.

Its under the dash. Comes off the ignition switch of the steering column, then goes under the dash by radio, over near heater box, then loops back to the steering column base. I believe its approx. 6ft long. Its a larger wire and says "resistor wire do not cut" on it Or something to that extent. To get a full 12 volts out to coil you need to cut that loop out. Then splice the wire back together minus the loop. This will give you 12 volts constant all the time. I just did this to the 71 mach 1 that I put in a duraspark ignition into. If I remember right, its a red/light green wire..... but not 100% on color!!

Are you getting rid of the points?? Need 12 volts constant for new ignition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back