What are the best restoration shops in the U.S. for 71-73 ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Past Owner:
1973 Hardtop
1972 Sportsroof
I wasn't sure what section was best for posting the question....hope it's okay here.

I was wondering who is most familiar with these cars and does the best work on them.

I'm looking at a car that has had a lot of dress-up items added to the engine compartment. The radio has also been changed. If I bought the car, I would want to return everything to completely stock. The original parts are no longer with the car at all. It's a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel car, so original parts should not be too hard to find. I know that I simply would not have time to track down and install the parts myself. Purchasing the car depends upon a couple of lawsuits that seem to be cut-and-dried and strongly in our favor. But, there are never any 'guarantees' with the legal system these days. If we do win, I am going to be very busy with a lot of things and would want the car in the hands of good people for putting it back to stock. (I enjoy all 71-73 Mustangs, but originality is just my personal thing.) This is all VERY preliminary, at this point, but it's never a bad time to get some good info for possible future reference.

:thankyouyellow:

I wasn't sure what section was best for posting the question....hope it's okay here.

I was wondering who is most familiar with these cars and does the best work on them.

I'm looking at a car that has had a lot of dress-up items added to the engine compartment. The radio has also been changed. If I bought the car, I would want to return everything to completely stock. The original parts are no longer with the car at all. It's a 351 Cleveland 2 barrel car, so original parts should not be too hard to find. I know that I simply would not have time to track down and install the parts myself. Purchasing the car depends upon a couple of lawsuits that seem to be cut-and-dried and strongly in our favor. But, there are never any 'guarantees' with the legal system these days. If we do win, I am going to be very busy with a lot of things and would want the car in the hands of good people for putting it back to stock. (I enjoy all 71-73 Mustangs, but originality is just my personal thing.) This is all VERY preliminary, at this point, but it's never a bad time to get some good info for possible future reference.

Well, can't help you with the USA shop choice, I'm sure you will get many opinion's on this board. I see you are in NY state, there are a couple very knowledgeable '71-3 member's on this board in your area. Hopefully they will chime in here. I am just across the border near Niagara Falls. I just went through a complete factory style restoration and I also looked to the possibility of having some work done in the USA. In particular the engine rebuild. But I was fortunate to find one of the few remaining old school engine rebuilder's here in the Niagara area who rebuilt my 429cj engine. Your engine set up and car in general should be relatively easy to get parts for, but, some parts for these car's are becoming quite difficult to find if you are looking to do a factory style restoration. Ensure the shop you choose really understands this model year and can do what they say they will do. Look forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck!

Well, can't help you with the USA shop choice, I'm sure you will get many opinion's on this board. I see you are in NY state, there are a couple very knowledgeable '71-3 member's on this board in your area. Hopefully they will chime in here. I am just across the border near Niagara Falls. I just went through a complete factory style restoration and I also looked to the possibility of having some work done in the USA. In particular the engine rebuild. But I was fortunate to find one of the few remaining old school engine rebuilder's here in the Niagara area who rebuilt my 429cj engine. Your engine set up and car in general should be relatively easy to get parts for, but, some parts for these car's are becoming quite difficult to find if you are looking to do a factory style restoration. Ensure the shop you choose really understands this model year and can do what they say they will do. Look forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep your area in mind. I have dual citizenship by birth and if our lawsuits do turn out well, moving to Canada is a possibility. My dad was born in Nova Scotia and my wife and I both like the Cape Breton Highlands.

To 6972boss:

Received your messages. Could not reply, as the system said you have reached your quota. But I will definitely keep you in mind and we'll see what the future holds. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep your area in mind. I have dual citizenship by birth and if our lawsuits do turn out well, moving to Canada is a possibility. My dad was born in Nova Scotia and my wife and I both like the Cape Breton Highlands.
My Dad is from Cape Breton... Beautiful part of the country, especially in the summer. Very expensive to restore a car (these car's) here in Canada, taking into account our $$$ against the American green back, plus the cost of shipping and import charges. Ask me how I know... I have a US mailing address, so half way through my restoration, things got a bit cheaper following this addition to acquiring parts. I would definitely look to get the work done in the USA, before looking at a move to Canada, if possible. Save $1000's...

https://www.mustangbarn.com/

7173vERT and TommyK have hit on very good points to consider. Legwork on your part to research potential shops is essential to meet your expectations.

I've dealt with Mustang Barn and there is no question they are a top notch restoration shop. Biggest question will be about your real budget and schedule. MB could very well have a lengthy waiting list for taking on new work.

I'm from WNY and at this point don't have anyone in mind from this part of the state who specializes in mustangs -- some very good shops do outstanding work on many different makes / models, but your participation in the process (and contributing knowledge of 71-73 years) will be an important part of it to come to the finished product.

Good Luck, hope to see it someday at the Vintage Race Festival fun activities.

This is a great place too. They specialize in 65-73 Mustangs. I have my car there and they just finished it up. Mine is the yellow 72 Mach 1 if you check out their site. They are located in Michigan.

https://www.mustangcraftsmen.com

They also have a Facebook page, I tried to post it but couldn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Central New York (Utica area) and have yet to run across any one who specializes in Mustangs, let alone 71-73s, but I really haven't reached the point of needing one yet.

As with any area there are good and bad mechanics and body shops around here. Your best bet might be to find other classic car owners in your area and get their opinion.

There is a New York State-centric Mustang forum:

https://newyorkmustangs.com/

Maybe a member there knows of someone in you area?

Not my business but if you don't have the car yet and you have the budget to buy a good base and go to the "best"

Why not buy one likely more expensive but as you want it or nearly?

In past months, I've seen quite a few nicely restored 7173 in 25/50k range... again, not my business.

Thanks for all of the replies. That's a lot of very good info.

I have considered a lot of criteria, and after having 2 of the 71-73 cars in the family over time I want the third time to be the charm....a 'keeper' for the rest of my life.

I have narrowed it down to a 1973, Sportsroof or Mach 1, with the standard interior in Avocado (code AG) and exterior in one of the factory shades of green.

I've been in contact with a dealer that has one possibility, and I've asked some basic questions, but he is one of those types who gets all huffy when he finds out that a person doesn't have the funds on hand right then and there. That's quite off-putting. Plenty of people research far in advance of having funds in place, to make a more informed purchase down the line when there are comparisons to be made among available choices. And any sound business person should know that any info gathered and presented is going to be welcomed by all potential customers. What's right in front of them is all the more that they will not have to ask about.

Back