Paint Color Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi All, it's about time to have my car painted soon. My 71 Convertible was originally Maroon Metallic (Code B). But when I google that color it shows up as Ford paint code #3562 and Ditzler paint code #2295 and both these colors look brown. That's not what I have in mind LOL. I have a sheet that shows all the colors for 1971 but none of them look like Maroon Metallic...I think it's also called Maroon Poly?! Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

I've added a picture which I think is Maroon Metallic, so please no offense to the owner of this car!

Terry, There was no picture in your post. This is what I found for your car's color. I would not judge the color by what you see online, those images never are a good representation of color, especially metallic paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, There was no picture in your post. This is what  I found for your car's color. I would not judge the color by what you see online, those images never are a good representation of color, especially metallic paint.

Rich, thanks for posting! This seems to look very dull and not dark enough?!

Any time you see a paint listed as "poly", that's a metallic.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Ford&model=Mustang&con=ko&year=1971&rows=50

If you want to see what the color looks like in person, visit a local auto paint store than can do a rattle can touch up spray bomb for you. Spray it out on some primed & wet sanded steel and you'll get the best representation.
Hemikiller, thanks for posting! That's the site I got the cross references from other paint manufacturers. I have no idea what the right shade of said Maroon is but I'll take your advice and have a rattle can mixed up!

Terry, There was no picture in your post. This is what  I found for your car's color. I would not judge the color by what you see online, those images never are a good representation of color, especially metallic paint.

If I recall the car was a concours car auctioned off at Mecum. I would think I it would be accurate but then again I'm not that familiar with the color.

If I recall the car was a concours car auctioned off at Mecum. I would think I it would be accurate but then again I'm not that familiar with the color.
Not quite concour's, it was auctioned off again at BJ Phoenix this past January. This pic does make the paint look a little duller then what it really is. It has a darker maroon shine to it in real life. I like it...

Not quite concour's, it was auctioned off again at BJ Phoenix this past January. This pic does make the paint look a little duller then what it really is. It has a darker maroon shine to it in real life. I like it...

A few more pic for what it's worth.

It's difficult to get pictures that show the correct color. To early or late in the day tints them yellow, orange, or red. Direct sun can make too many reflections, high spots, and shadows to be able to tell which shade is the right one. Taking pictures outdoors in the shade tints them blue, due to reflection from the sky. A uniformly overcast day, during the midday, probably renders the most accurate color. And then, you look at them with a computer photo program that may not reproduce the original color, and then look at them on a monitor that likely isn't optimally adjusted. So, the car may be the correct color, but due to the numerous variables it just doesn't look right.

Back