Ford Code Numbers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I've been assembling Ford code numbers for some time. The attached spreadsheet has Buck Tag Codes, Data (Door) Plate Codes, VIN Codes, DSOs, Basic Part Numbers, and Date Codes. The majority are from official Ford publications. The Buck Tag codes were assembled from a variety of sources.

The most difficult one to nail down are the buck tag codes, they can change from year to year, and be different from different assembly plants. This is still a work in progress and will likely change when and if I find more sources.

Edit: Updated spreadsheets 5/31/2019 (-V2)

Updated 9/24/2019 (V3), added two missing codes

Updated 2/10/2020 (V4), added information about Australian part numbers, other part number information, reformatted the part number spreadsheet.

Updated 8/2/2020 (V5), made a correction in the VINs

Attachments

• Ford Codes-V1.xlsx
    43.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Ford Codes-V1.xls
    98.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Ford Codes-V2.xlsx
    52.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Ford Codes-V2.xls
    174 KB · Views: 20
  • Ford Codes-V3.xlsx
    52.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Ford Codes-V3.xls
    170.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Ford Codes-V4.xlsx
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Ford Codes-V4.xls
    183.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Ford Codes-V5.xls
    183.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Ford Codes-V5.xlsx
    57.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Ford Codes-V6.xls
    183.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Ford Codes-V6.xlsx
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I've been assembling Ford code numbers for some time. The attached spreadsheet has Buck Tag Codes, Data (Door) Plate Codes, VIN Codes, DSOs, Basic Part Numbers, and Date Codes.

The most difficult one to nail down are the buck tag codes, they can change from year to year, and be different from different assembly plants. This is still a work in progress and will likely change when and if I find more sources.
Very nice, you did a great job on this Don, thanks for putting this together.

Tom

Don,

Are you bored man, lol. Must be an accountant that loves spread sheets.

Since you are getting into this so deep here is a pic of my Buck Tag off my 73 Mach 1 with all the options. It is a 4 speed, AM / 8 track. Has all options but the block heater. Well you can't get all options on one car due to one eliminating another.

See if you see anything new there or different.

Are the two spread sheets the same just saved in a different format? Looked to be same to me.

My car would be a Dealer ordered car since I went in and ordered.

I also put a pic of a door tag off of a Special Order Paint & Trim non factory option car I have. I am sure you know about the 6 digit DSO code and they leave the paint code blank. There were no records kept for the Special Order cars they are long gone. Marti cannot tell anything either.

I have a hard copy of the Ford Corporate Acronym dictionary somewhere. I will keep and eye open for it. Might have some info in it also. About a 1/2" thick so lots of them for sure. You would think the Buck tag info would be in there.

Thanks David, I'll see if all of your codes are in there.

Yes, same spreadsheet, just the different format. Some folks using older programs can't open the .xlsx.

I use a lot of spreadsheets in my line of work, still working part time. I am a civil engineer specializing in traffic engineering and transportation planning. I review and analyze huge amounts of data. Freight analysis data I get from the USDOT are thousands of lines of data, crash data from the states aren't as big, but when looking at crash data from places like Las Vegas they will run into a few thousand lines. So, I use a lot of formulas and sorting and filtering to extract what I need. The latest Excel spreadsheets can hold most of the data I use, used to have to start with Access to break it down into spreadsheet size.

If anyone has any codes that don't show up in the buck tag sheet, let me know and I'll see if I can track them down.

A man who loves his spreadsheets :)

Couple things I noticed - color 6 for '71 is called Bright Blue Metallic, same as '72 3J, both were Ford paint color 3077. Different paint chip books used various names - Medium Blue Poly, Acapulco Blu Poly etc. That's from other car lines.

3.50 open was available in '73 as code A

Nice Job! FYI. in '71, the interior trim code for white vinyl was also 1W (off my buck tag.)

Don, 

Some of these buck tag codes may need further explanation for our 71-73 cars, For example, on your list the "QM Quarter Molding"....

From my research and by reading what others have decoded and documented about buck tag data states "QM" refers to Quarter Molding. It is identified this way on the 302 Boss and a few other forums. On early years for coupe and verts QM may have referred to the chrome ornamental molding on the quarter panel behind the door.  71-73 cars don't have this ornamental quarter molding and it's not a designation for the rocker and wheel lip moldings which is identified as "RM" on Buck Tags I have seen. One of my 73 Vert's with rocker and wheel lip moldings has RM on the buck tag.

With all that said, my theory on 71-73 cars is that QM came to designate the Decor option moldings along the top of the rocker blackout since this required holes for the clips and deleted the rocker and wheel lip moldings, which required different holes. Why am I convinced of this, because after comparing various buck tags to invoices and/or Marti reports, I have seen a correlation where cars with the decor option (the blackout) had bucks with "QM" and also "BO". Whereas cars with the decor option (the blackout) and the decor body side tape stripe option (which meant the decor moldings were deleted), only have "BO" on the buck (no QM). My  73 vert is one of these, I have "BO" without "QM" and the invoice indicates Decor option with the body side tape stripe. This applies to Coupes, Verts, and Sportsroofs.

Furthermore, I have never seen a buck tag with "RM" and "QM" or "BO". Which makes sense because we know that this combination of options was not available.

I could be wrong. I will continue to look at more examples of buck tags with "BO" "QM" "RM" and match them up with their invoice or Marti reports to confirm my theory.

There was once a very comprehensive list available on the FIRST MUSTANG CLUB OF GERMANY 1964-73 e.V. 1965-66, but the link I saved does not work anymore. I have the list of buck tag code from it, if you would like a copy.

Buck Tag Decoder - FIRST MUSTANG CLUB OF GERMANY 1964-73 e.V. 1965-66 Buck Tag information 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input and information. Yes, QM, RM, & BO seem to be the ones with the most conjecture as to what they were used for. And, when it appears that the Metuchen assembly plant used some of the codes differently it doesn't help.

Yes, I would appreciate a copy of the codes from the First Mustang Club. I believe that is where I got some of them when I first started my list several years ago. But, same as you, when I tried to access the club a few days ago I got the error.

Thanks again,

Don

A man who loves his spreadsheets :)

Couple things I noticed - color 6 for '71 is called Bright Blue Metallic, same as '72 3J, both were Ford paint color 3077. Different paint chip books used various names - Medium Blue Poly, Acapulco Blu Poly etc. That's from other car lines.

3.50 open was available in '73 as code A
I knew that was Bright instead of Silver, that was what my car was originally. That's what I get for copying :(  

I knew about the Poly designation, too, just too lazy to add it. I think what I'll do is show it as XXX Poly (Metallic). I saw where someone the other day was confused about the Poly and what it meant. PPG calls it Poly, DuPont calls it metallic, to add to the confusion.

I added the 3.50 to the '73 axles.

Thanks for your input, every little bit of information really helps with the accuracy.

Don

Don,

Since you are getting into this so deep here is a pic of my Buck Tag off my 73 Mach 1 with all the options. It is a 4 speed, AM / 8 track. Has all options but the block heater. Well you can't get all options on one car due to one eliminating another.

Are the two spread sheets the same just saved in a different format? Looked to be same to me.

I also put a pic of a door tag off of a Special Order Paint & Trim non factory option car I have. I am sure you know about the 6 digit DSO code and they leave the paint code blank. There were no records kept for the Special Order cars they are long gone. Marti cannot tell anything either.

I have a hard copy of the Ford Corporate Acronym dictionary somewhere. I will keep and eye open for it. Might have some info in it also. About a 1/2" thick so lots of them for sure. You would think the Buck tag info would be in there.
David, you have a new one, FDX, any guesses as to what it is? 

Interesting they spelled out the interior color, instead of a code. Obviously, on yours, the ST stands for Stereo Tape.

Thanks,

Don

Don,

Interesting they spelled out the interior color, instead of a code. Obviously, on yours, the ST stands for Stereo Tape.

Thanks,

Don
My car has a Ginger vinyl roof also. Thought maybe that was on buck tag so they would put the extra reinforcement in and also the trim clip studs in the roof.

FDX hum. My car did come with the incorrect rear installed. I had the small U joints and after I broke three they changed to correct ones.

The wire harness under the drivers seat has the plug for a Power Seat also and my console had the lighted ash tray like the Cougar. I suspect they were using up Cougar parts not needed.

This pic is a buck tag off my 73 vert which is Décor Group. Sorry about bad pic all I had on computer.

Don,

Thanks,

Don
My car has a Ginger vinyl roof also. Thought maybe that was on buck tag so they would put the extra reinforcement in and also the trim clip studs in the roof.

FDX hum. My car did come with the incorrect rear installed. I had the small U joints and after I broke three they changed to correct ones.

The wire harness under the drivers seat has the plug for a Power Seat also and my console had the lighted ash tray like the Cougar. I suspect they were using up Cougar parts not needed.

This pic is a buck tag off my 73 vert which is Décor Group. Sorry about bad pic all I had on computer.

David, FDX is F = Ginger and DX = Delux Interior (DX standard on verts). Can you confirm your vert came with the rocker blackout and the decor molding across the top edge of the blackout? My research indicates that is what the BO and QM are for on 71-73 cars.

My vert also came with the Cougar under seat wiring harness. The harness was not only needed for the cougar power seat option but also needed with the convenience group option for the automatic seat back release actuator since they also require non-switched power.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks,

Don

David, FDX is F = Ginger and DX = Delux Interior (DX standard on verts). Can you confirm your vert came with the rocker blackout and the decor molding across the top edge of the blackout? My research indicates that is what the BO and QM are for on 71-73 cars.

My vert also came with the Cougar under seat wiring harness. The harness was not only needed for the cougar power seat option but also needed with the convenience group option for the automatic seat back release actuator since they also require non-switched power.

Thanks,

Rich
The 73 vert is original paint and yes had the black out and Décor Group trim.

Thanks,

Don

Thanks,

Rich
The 73 vert is original paint and yes had the black out and Décor Group trim.

I've been assembling Ford code numbers for some time. The attached spreadsheet has Buck Tag Codes, Data (Door) Plate Codes, VIN Codes, DSOs, Basic Part Numbers, and Date Codes.

Edit: Updated spreadsheets 5/31/2019 (-V2)

Updated 9/24/2019 (V3), added two missing codes

Updated 2/10/2020 (V4), added information about Australian part numbers, other part number information, reformatted the part number spreadsheet.
Thank you Don!  Great research and super effort on your part. Instead of me paying Marti for a report? Can I just hire you? Seriously its right up your alley.  before you start giving excuses just say YES  :D

Rod and Sally

Thank you Don!  Great research and super effort on your part. Instead of me paying Marti for a report? Can I just hire you? Seriously its right up your alley.  before you start giving excuses just say YES  :D 

Rod and Sally
Marti is the only one that has all of the records that shows what came on each car. It was all hard copy and it must have been a monumental effort going through hundreds of thousands of records to find out how many of which option came on what what body style of car, and then look them up and put them into a report form for each individual car. He deserves what he gets for his reports, I was glad to get mine from him, plus I needed the door data sticker

Rod and Sally
Marti is the only one that has all of the records that shows what came on each car. It was all hard copy and it must have been a monumental effort going through hundreds of thousands of records to find out how many of which option came on what what body style of car, and then look them up and put them into a report form for each individual car. He deserves what he gets for his reports, I was glad to get mine from him, plus I needed the door data sticker
I never asked Kevin when I met him in Charlotte last year but I believe the information is in the form of IBM punch cards. I have my punch cards that were in the floor of my 73 Mach 1. I did not let the dealer do dealer prep on the car. Punch cards could be read and data compiled really fast for the day. Punch cards were used in the 1890 census to compile the data. They have the reader in the Smithsonian. I think all he has to do is look up the card for your car put in the reader and it generates the report. The only thing he or employee might have to do is the info to make your car a one of one in the Elite report. The factory invoices he supplies are a hard copy and is the original not a reprint. There is only one of them for each build. He will not send unless you can show title to car.

Back