AC Compresssor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
OK, AC Compressor time!

I have 3 compressors here, not sure what the internal status is of any of them as I don't recall which one came off my car.  I have 2 1972 date codes, one 73 date code on the compressor, and mine is an 11/70 Build date.  Clutch Inertia Ring Part Numbers I have a 71 PN and a 72 PN.

I probably replaced the compressor long ago when I was driving it in the 80's, I cant recall.  So here is my question for the group.

1)  Classic Air has new Yorks for $270 with a 90 day warranty.

2) Rock Auto has new Yorks through 4-Seasons products for about $170 with a year warranty

3) There are rebuild gasket sets on line for $35

I have never rebuilt a compressor and do not know the challenges behind all the bolted covers on those things.  I am mechanically inclined and and do need to save money.  Considering I don't have the correct date code anyway, why should I not buy the Rock Auto compressor.  My car is too far from original to pass the correct date code test anyway.

Thanks for the help!

kcmash

Last edited by a moderator:
I would dismantle the ones you have and check the condition of the internal components. If any of them are good I would replace the gaskets and seals. The usual reason for replacing compressors is leaks. Often the reason for the seal leaks is due to bearings failing/wearing beyond the seal limit.

If they are not worth repairing I would get the Rock Auto compressor. Compressors that have been sitting around are subject to the same degradation that engines are that aren't being used.

Just check for abnormal signs of wear?  I don't know what the original dimensions were so I cannot measure a difference.

Do they sell new bearing kits for these too so I can have tight new bearings?

None of these appear to be locked up.

I found this service manual, not a complete overhaul, but good information

http://240.se/litteratur/york.pdf

This company says they can provide a lot of parts

https://www.ackits.com/

As for wear, as long as the bearings and bushings feel tight they should be good. Most parts, like the cylinders, pistons, rings, and valves can be visually inspected for signs of wear.

OK,

I found the 4th compressor too.  The one that was on my car when I tore it down.  Also a 73 PN and it was a remanufactured compressor I had purchased.  So this one was painted all black.  The tag and the inertia ring along with the clutch are all painted black.

So which should I start with to find the best?  The one that I have some history with? 

Is anyone needing original compressors or clutches for their project?  As stated I have 72 and 73 date tags if interested.

kcmash

Too good to be true?

Pricing Error?

Bank error in your favor, save $200?

I can't believe I was able to purchase at this price on the NPD Website.

Me too.  I have a printed invoice so I will call and ask.  I will also let them know their competition is selling them for $50 less.

Kcmash

OK. New Scott Drake condensor ordered through Mustangs Plus in Kansas City.  Best price I could find shipped to my door.

Did a compressor leak check yesterday with good results from the compressor and service valves.   

Off to pressure wash and paint.

OK AC Gurus, I need help.

I want to change the compressor oil and am planning to go R134. 

Should I solvent flush the compressor, or just dump the old oil and fill with new oil?

I have R12 here that I plan to sell.  Is everyone having good cooling with a York and the R-134?

When putting the system together, should I remove the service valves and replace seals, or leave it together since the compressor and service valves don't leak?  Does the compressor need a new seal kit, or is that good?  Use green O-rings on all the fittings and hose connections?

Thanks for the input!

kcmash

OK,

Started routing AC hoses today.  Not overly impressed with Classic Auto Air Hoses.  Bend angles are off by 7 to 10 degrees, hoses are fatter than the originals causing problems with the original tie downs.

Also. started to install the compressor.  I am sooooooo tired of cleaning and painting fasteners for all the little stuff!

As soon as the condensor arrives I will suck the system down and check for leaks!.  Glad I am doing this before the hood went on.

kcmash

I am sooooooo tired of cleaning and painting fasteners for all the little stuff!
I soooooooo totally understand! Done and still restore tons of tiny little guys (and big ones too).

Spraying a thick layer of paint on rusty/dirty or quickly sanded part and hope it will look like a million dollar ain't the way things must be done...

Done right, your AC will be cool power of 2 ;)

Anyone know the correct fasteners to use for the AC Condensor mounting to the core support?  Looks like it takes U-nuts and a small capscrew.

Thanks for the guidance?  

kcmash

Back