how to get centrifugal advance tuning numbers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 fastback
On D.U.I. website it says -----

We tune the centrifugal advance using information about the vehicle and engine such as cam duration & lift, carburetor size, compression ratio, vehicle weight and octane of fuel. A super smooth advance curve assures excellent performance and mileage.  A special weight and spring assembly is hand fitted and dialed-in using a Sun Distributor Machine for a precise timing curve that will match the specifications of your engine and vehicle.

Are there programs that will match my specifications?

You would have to use the same program DUI uses to get the same results they use. I'm sure it's something they developed in-house and don't share. There's not a lot you can do, change springs, limit centrifugal and vacuum advance to achieve desired total advance, set initial advance, use ported or manifold vacuum. If you want more control you have to get into computer control timing.

This article will help you get a better understanding of what can be done.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/04/16/performance-tuning-your-distributor/

Last edited by a moderator:
You would have to use the same program DUI uses to get the same results they use. I'm sure it's something they developed in-house and don't share. There's not a lot you can do, change springs, limit centrifugal and vacuum advance to achieve desired total advance, set initial advance, use ported or manifold vacuum. If you want more control you have to get into computer control timing.

This article will help you get a better understanding of what can be done.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/04/16/performance-tuning-your-distributor/
Thanks Don

Read the article

I can't do that

If I bought a DUI distributor wouldn't all that stuff be done and I just install it.

Yes, it should already be done, assuming the assembler isn't color blind and gets the correct springs, and can read, so they get the maximum centrifugal advance set according to the chart they're supposed to look at.

I just don't have a lot a faith/trust in products, anymore.

There's another thread today by jpaz, called Turn Signal Problems where the supplier couldn't even get three wires right.

I am running a DUI from performance distributors. I will say this, they were very particular about the information they wanted and they know what they are doing. I am extremely pleased with mine except for the size of it. :)

I will say this, they were very particular about the information they wanted and they know what they are doing. I am extremely pleased with mine except for the size of it. :)
Yeah, that's what most guys say...

Back