Help identify dash wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Last edited by a moderator:
So most likely if I don't have a highly optioned car some of the plugs were not used? Ryan
Yup.  The multiwire plugs are for the headlight on relay, IIRC.  The separate wires with a spade lug on each are for the 4 way flasher/brake switch lead and the battery power lead that goes to a circuit breaker.  This was not an option but standard on all Mustangs.

need help identifying dash wiring and plugs above the glove box. What goes where? Are they all used? The only one I know is the flasher because I never unplugged it. Thanks Ryan
Looks like you have a 73 Mach. This is from a heavily optioned 73 vert and may help. Depending on your options, there are different wire harnesses, so some wires you will not have. Options you may not have are 2, 3,5,6, and 9. Click on the image to enlarge it and make more readable

The Gray two slot plug (red and green wires) is for the Seat Belt Warning light on the passenger side dash

Nope, that pink molex plug is unique to the 1972.

So most likely if I don't have a highly optioned car some of the plugs were not used? Ryan

Correct, this is a 72. The only things I have on the board is the flasher, a circuit breaker (I think) and a clear small box marked D0AB-13150-B2. Would like to know which plugs go where and which ones are not used.

Correct, this is a 72. The only things I have on the board is the flasher, a circuit breaker (I think) and a clear small box marked D0AB-13150-B2. Would like to know which plugs go where and which ones are not used.
Okay. I was guessing based on 73429Mach name and signature which year. I see the same color wires in the red molex as I have in the brown molex on my 73.  I have D2AB-13150-A2A...Part number 13150 is the key reminder buzzer (number 7 in the picture I posted previously). I can't see the wire colors, but it looks like the plug behind the red molex in your picture is for the key reminder buzzer.

I added a couple more clearer pictures. Ryan

Here's how I figure out what components are where and what plug is used....

Your D0AB-13150-B2 returns a Google search as a key warning buzzer. All of those components on that plate have part numbers stamped on them, and there are a couple screws that come up from the inside of the glove box so you can drop it down to make life easier. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=D0AB-13150-B2&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS819US820&oq=D0AB-13150-B2&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Page 2 of the 72 full wiring diagram has a component locator index, the key warning buzzer is in grid F53

The diagram is arranged with i.d. numbers across the top to designate vertical columns and letters on the side to designate horizontal rows. 

Scroll down to the page (4) where the 50s start. If you trace down from 53 and across from F, you'll find the area with the key warning buzzer depicted, along with it's wiring traces.  

C-89 designates the connector that plugs directly into the buzzer. Follow the leads back and you will see 158A/BK-PK (H) and 159A/R-PK

158A is the circuit designator and not something you'd use here. BK-PK(H) is the wire color ID. The layout is always (base wire color)-(stripe color)(stripe line type) BK  is black wire. PK is pink and (H) designates a hashed stripe (dashes is you prefer). So, wire 158A is Black wire w/pink hashes. R-PK is red with a solid pink stripe. It looks like it's the connector hiding under the square red plug.

Another stripe line type you'll see is (D) for dots.

Do this for the rest of the bit on that plate and let's see what you have left.

Here's how I figure out what components are where and what plug is used....

Your D0AB-13150-B2 returns a Google search as a key warning buzzer. All of those components on that plate have part numbers stamped on them, and there are a couple screws that come up from the inside of the glove box so you can drop it down to make life easier. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=D0AB-13150-B2&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS819US820&oq=D0AB-13150-B2&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Page 2 of the 72 full wiring diagram has a component locator index, the key warning buzzer is in grid F53

The diagram is arranged with i.d. numbers across the top to designate vertical columns and letters on the side to designate horizontal rows. 

Scroll down to the page (4) where the 50s start. If you trace down from 53 and across from F, you'll find the area with the key warning buzzer depicted, along with it's wiring traces.  

C-89 designates the connector that plugs directly into the buzzer. Follow the leads back and you will see 158A/BK-PK (H) and 159A/R-PK

158A is the circuit designator and not something you'd use here. BK-PK(H) is the wire color ID. The layout is always (base wire color)-(stripe color)(stripe line type) BK  is black wire. PK is pink and (H) designates a hashed stripe (dashes is you prefer). So, wire 158A is Black wire w/pink hashes. R-PK is red with a solid pink stripe. It looks like it's the connector hiding under the square red plug.

Another stripe line type you'll see is (D) for dots.

Do this for the rest of the bit on that plate and let's see what you have left
Ok, this makes more sense to me now. I’ll go back and look what I have left. Thanks everyone for the help and pictures. Ryan.

The black with light blue stripe wires are for dome and courtesy light circuits. One is at grid #D-44.

The red/yellow hash and black/orange hash wites connect to an ambient temperature switch, grid #G-14.

The black with light blue stripe wires are for dome and courtesy light circuits. One is at grid #D-44.

The red/yellow hash and black/orange hash wites connect to an ambient temperature switch, grid #G-14.

The light green/red stripe is for the alternator warning light.

The light green/red stripe is for the alternator warning light.
Don C, thank you for your patience in explaining the wiring grids. Wiring is not one of my strong points. On the red/yellow hash & black/orange hash wire, I can not find anything that it would connect to. This is an a/c car, is it something that was used or is it something that would have been for an option that my car doesn't have? Ryan

Don't worry about that connector; it is not essential to the well-being of the car.

Back