Radiator Overflow Hose Type

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
My overflow hose is missing. I'm trying to remember what type of hose is was. Is it a vacuum hose or maybe a fuel line type of hose or a special hose just for radiators? It seems like it was very flexible like a vacuum hose, but not sure. Not sure if makes a difference, but it is a 6 cyl without air and no recovery tank.

vacuum hose will do fine don't worry about it. that is what I have. As far as concourse correct I have no clue though if you are looking for authentic. And none of them came with a recovery tank. I guess a little prestone on the ground wasn't a big deal back then. hahaha just keep the dogs away they will literally die for that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My overflow hose is missing. I'm trying to remember what type of hose is was. Is it a vacuum hose or maybe a fuel line type of hose or a special hose just for radiators? It seems like it was very flexible like a vacuum hose, but not sure. Not sure if makes a difference, but it is a 6 cyl without air and no recovery tank.
If I remember correctly, it was a rather thick "ribbed" hose, no woven fiber, no recovery tank. Don at OMS may know for sure.

I have to agree with c9zx (dont know your actual name man!) my car came with the original one (i think).. it was trashed but it liked like an all rubber hose with the ribbets there... I also believe every vacum hose should be ribbed too, isn´t it?... Another thing is that some hoses has like a yellow line and some others a red one... I think yellow are vacum so... can red be the overflow one??

For sure Don is the sourse for this Mike... I love to see you concerned about your engine bay! ;);)

I have to agree with c9zx (dont know your actual name man!) my car came with the original one (i think).. it was trashed but it liked like an all rubber hose with the ribbets there... I also believe every vacum hose should be ribbed too, isn´t it?... Another thing is that some hoses has like a yellow line and some others a red one... I think yellow are vacum so... can red be the overflow one??

For sure Don is the sourse for this Mike... I love to see you concerned about your engine bay! ;);)
c9zx=Chuck. The color coded small hoses are vacuum lines. Where what color is used depends on engine, distributor, emissions, etc.. The most common colors are green, yellow, red, and blue. Vacuum schematics usually contain the specific information. Heater hoses also had a yellow stripe with Autolite or Motorcraft depending on year. Chuck

Thanks for all the info! I've been thinking about it and I may not have put the hose back on when I pull the radiator a couple of years ago. I need to serach through my leftover boxes. Otherwise I'll probably just use a vacuum hose until I can find a correct one.

I still have some of my original vacuum lines, and they have a white stripe on them. Could be thats what they used on the 6 cylinders.

Chuck is right,it is a little thicker than just plain vacume hose.No stripes,it had small ribs that ran the length of the hose. It ran about 3/4s of the way down the side of the radiator into open air. There is a small clip(should be) that holds the hose inplace on the radiator.

I just noticed in the picture I posted that my hose was out of place. I can explain. When I go to the track I have to put a burp bottle on the line to catch any possible over flow.I usualy use a coke can or water bottle.I did not have it put back like it should be.

PC250018.JPG

Man I am loosing it! I was working on the car last night and thereis no clip to ho;d the hose in place! the clip is on the early model cars.I was dreaming of my 428 Cougar.I know for a fact the top / bottom tank radiators have the clips. Oh well "I used to be faster than I was"!

Man I am loosing it! I was working on the car last night and thereis no clip to ho;d the hose in place! the clip is on the early model cars.I was dreaming of my 428 Cougar.I know for a fact the top / bottom tank radiators have the clips. Oh well "I used to be faster than I was"!
FastE, Thanks for the update. Your false recollection triggered mine so, I went back through every source document I have looking for a wire style clamp. We may not be as fast but, we are more of a sure thing. Chuck

I know what you mean about ( Losing it.) I have a T shirt that reads.... I do know it All, I just can't remember it all a t one time.

I know what you mean about ( Losing it.) I have a T shirt that reads.... I do know it All, I just can't remember it all a t one time.
I have an excellent memory, but its short! :D

So, how is Biloxi these days? I spent the biggest part of 8 months there in USAF tech school, a very long time ago. The last time I came through (1999) it looked very different. Chuck

Back