1971 Hurst shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1972Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1979 Trans Am
1996 Mustang Cobra
1991 Mustang LX Coupe
1988 Mustang LX Hatch
I recently picked up a ‘70 Mach 1 and am starting to locate some missing pieces which leads me to this question. I have a couple extra Hurst 4 speed shifters out of ‘72 

Mach 1’s and was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to remove the chrome stick from the ‘72 shifter and replace it with a chrome stick for a ‘70 Mach 1 which I have but needs to be rechromed. I’m trying to figure out a way to have a correct looking 4 speed shifter for my ‘70 Mach 1 since they are impossible to find. Thank you for any input!

I am unsure on that, but if you have all the parts can you just do a fit check?

The 70/71 flat sticks came out with a feeler gage releasing the spring clip.  Is the 72 stick flat at the shifter interface?

kcmash

Thanks for the replies, yes the shifter is long gone but I still have the stick. I can’t remember the guys name that used to reproduce the ‘70 stick but I spoke to him a couple weeks ago and he said he was out and didn’t foresee having anymore reproduced. I thought maybe this would be a cheap way around since I have the spare ‘72 shifters. The part where the stick goes into sure looks the same...

Thanks for the replies, yes the shifter is long gone but I still have the stick. I can’t remember the guys name that used to reproduce the ‘70 stick but I spoke to him a couple weeks ago and he said he was out and didn’t foresee having anymore reproduced. I thought maybe this would be a cheap way around since I have the spare ‘72 shifters. The part where the stick goes into sure looks the same...
Try Scotty at Hurst Shifters Online. He might have one unless he is who you are thinking of.

www.hurstshiftersonline.com

Also NPD list one for the 70, but says to "call", so don't hold your breath! Pg 196 #7210-11A

Last edited by a moderator:
So yes you can use the BODY of the shifter from the 1972 (as it will be a Ford and have the provision for reverse switch) remove the ROUND stalk and replace with the replated ($75) 1970.

You should be good with the shift rods, JUST don't intermix early and late! IN FACT, hopefully you have D1Z parts for the rods (with the exception OF ONE) ! There was a campaign in late 71 to change the 1/2 rod to the 1972 version that eliminated BINDING the first set seem to be good at.

Mark

P.S. That is one area that "not needing date coded numbers" on my car was important. It gets tiring having to unjam on the road all the time !!!

Awesome!! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!!!

So yes you can use the BODY of the shifter from the 1972 (as it will be a Ford and have the provision for reverse switch) remove the ROUND stalk and replace with the replated ($75) 1970.    

You should be good with the shift rods, JUST don't intermix early and late!   IN FACT, hopefully you have D1Z parts for the rods (with the exception OF ONE) !  There was a campaign in late 71 to change the 1/2 rod to the 1972 version that eliminated BINDING the first set seem to be good at.

Mark

P.S.  That is one area that "not needing date coded numbers" on my car was important.  It gets tiring having to unjam on the road all the time !!!
 Hmmm! never had that problem occur………… yet.

Back