Not a mustang...but a 71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillakid54

Reaction score
My Car
-71 boss1
-71 scj convertible
Beautiful day here in Calgary. The Torino is a one previous owner I was fortunate enough to acquire in 2005. Drive like a new (71) car.

A beautiful car. I do love 70-71 Torinos. A convertible GT is a rare thing. Chuck

M code, automatic. Definitely a cruiser not a stoplight warrior.

The stripes came in four possible colours: blue, yellow, red, green, and are a different size in 70 and 71.

Looked over the years to find a matching grabber blue/white Ranchero, but have never found one. The ones I have found all black interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a 70 GT fastback back in the late 90s/ early 2000s, White with red laser stripes, maroon bucket interior. H-code auto that I intended to swap to a 429/4spd. Had just the right options with A/C, PDB and PS. Life got in the way and I traded it for the paint work on my 71 Mach. I always say people that complaint about visibility in a 71-73 Mustang sportsroof have never experienced a 70-71 Torino sportsroof.

I'd love to get another one, but they're getting to the point where I wouldn't want to pay that much for one. I'll probably get myself a 69-71 LTD or Marquis for a comfy cruiser.

Extremely cool Torino! I learned to drive in my dads 71 m code GT. A friend of mine recently finished this 71 429cj 4 spd. factory a/c, It has a beautiful un-buffed single stage black paint job. Always been a Toronto fan.

I have loved that '70 and '71 Torino body style and drivetrain ever since I was in senior high. I was involved with a project called the "Ecology Bus", which was a psychedelic painted school bus where people would drop off paper recycling items. I kept a bunch of car magazines that people dropped off, and a few other types of magazines as well (heh heh). Who drops off shopping bags full of Playboy, Penthouse, Gallery, Oui, etc. magazines at a high school recycling project? (answer- many people back in the late 1970's). Anyway, I have the magazine where this road test is published, and conveniently it's also online. "A Date With Three Strippers":

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990421701502/1969-12_MT_Chevelle_Roadrunner_Torino_Test_1-6.pdf

I came very close to purchasing a '71 Torina Cobra 429 w/C6 auto. I kept searching and ended up with a '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R with Toploader 4 speed. I have always been a manual trans type of guy for this type of car, and they aren't too plentiful out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the laser stripe was with the Torino GT, and that the Torino Cobra didn't have those. Perhaps it was available as an option on the Cobra. I remember reading a thread somewhere a few years back regarding how difficult those laser strips are to obtain. What a big, badass thundering car. When I was looking for a Torino Cobra I didn't even measure the length of my garage. My '71 Mach 1 429 barely fits length-wise.

Once in awhile you will see a laser stripe on a cobra, but they didn't help it go faster so I suppose most didn't add them. But my marti report shows it had 1 when new, so someday it will again. The mustang marketplace has the repop strips.

That white '71 Cobra is awesome- exactly the car I almost bought except it had a C6. That's why I held off. The interior in these is actually kind of plush. Does your '71 Cobra have the little ribbon tach in the dash?

That white '71 Cobra is awesome- exactly the car I almost bought except it had a C6.  That's why I held off.  The interior in these is actually kind of plush.  Does your '71 Cobra have the little ribbon tach in the dash?
Yes it does

Back