tail pipe extension tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Can anyone tell me who sell the best tail pipe extension tips for the 71 Mach. Lots out there but some I'm sure are better than the others. thanks

I have wondered if the 10 dollar ones at O'Rielly would look good enough.      $100 for the repops seems excessive,

kcmash

I did not like any I saw from restoration parts houses. I bought Cherry Bomb polished stainless, clamp on, angle cut, non-rolled tips. I had them cut to proper dimensions by a machine shop with a high precision band saw. This also allowed the removal of the Cherry Bomb logo from the end of the tip. I'm not saying these are the best but, I've not seen better. Chuck

Anyone seen stainless steel tips in/out 2.5 inch/ 63 mm somewhere? On Ebay all I find is fake stuff to look big, for small in-diameter and 2.5 out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of Pypes Polished Stainless slash tips on mine.  They slid right onto the Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust, then I punched a small hole, and zapped down the anchor screw.  Got 'em from Summit Racing for around $40, I think.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-evt49/overview/

Frankcarshow_2017-6.jpg

I like the factory look exhaust tips, but couldn't see compressing my 2.5" exhaust system to fit the 2" neck of the tip, just to blow back up to a 3"+ chrome tip with rolled edges.

I have a set of Pypes Polished Stainless slash tips on mine.  They slid right onto the Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust, then I punched a small hole, and zapped down the anchor screw.  Got 'em from Summit Racing for around $40, I think.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-evt49/overview/
Thx Eric, it's not exactly what I want but best fit so far. I'm after simple round ends, not with the angle.

similar to this one, but in 2.5 all the way like yours.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/gib-500546/overview/

Might end up fab them myself, as its a basic tube with a flare that I want...

Anyone know how far the originals protruded past the valence cut out?

kcmash

Between the "tuners" and diesel pickup jockeys it has become very hard to find what I consider normal exhaust tips, big, bigger, biggest is what's popular. Just look on Amazon, where they don't have any size filters, hundreds of pages of 2" in, 4" out or 4" in, 6" out to try to wade though.

Fabrice, you may have to get some exhaust tubing of the correct diameter, cut it to the length you want, and nickel plate it.

Anyone know how far the originals protruded past the valence cut out?

kcmash
This image from the 429 megasite looks right to me. So many people get it wrong. Center axis of the tip should be concentric with the center axis of the valance cutout so the gap is equal all around. Guessing about 1 1/2" exposure of the tip past the valance. Original tailpipes and tips had a tab and slot arrangement that keyed them at the correct angle and set the exposure.

I've used aftermarket tips too, but get good ones with the band retention clamp, not the little screw clamps that loosen up and your tip falls off.

Mine stick out as far as they do because I noticed with the unfinished pipes ending right about that 1.5" past the valance opening, I was getting a little bit of soot, moisture, and other exhaust whatnot loading up on the valance immediately above them (engine wasn't finished breaking in).  Granted, that might actually point to other issues, but my solution was to have the top edge of the tips even with the bottom inner edge of the bumper - just seemed to make sense and looked the best to me (at the time) since it also seems to add to the overall 'old school' look of the car I was after.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the look Hemikiller posted - but again, 2.5" compressed down to 2" (or less) just to blow up to 3" tips just doesn't appeal to me.  If someone made factory style tips that fit 2.5" pipes (slide on, clamp down), I'd probably go with a set of those.

Same, like them too and might go for something like this on my 71 where the angle fits the angle of the valance. On my 73 however, I do not have the valance with the cut outs, it's lower and 2.5 inch all the way in SS and duraluminium 2.5 mm thick from the headers .Tested with cardboard wrapped around my line and the most simple is most appealing to me. In fact, I just want the pipe end to have a bling bling finished look vs be all black as now.

Nickel plating them is an option but would prefer them in SS. Nickel tarnishes fast when exposed to moisture and within seconds water drips out on cold starts.

I'll contact my exhaust shop where they do custom SS lines. For them cut a tube and add a simple flare is prolly 2 minutes of work per side. I do then what you did, add a screw/hole to keep it in place and be done.

Same, like them too and might go for something like this on my 71 where the angle fits the angle of the valance. On my 73 however, I do not have the valance with the cut outs, it's lower and 2.5 inch all the way in SS and duraluminium 2.5 mm thick from the headers .Tested with cardboard wrapped around my line and the most simple is most appealing to me. In fact, I just want the pipe end to have a bling bling finished look vs be all black as now.

Nickel plating them is an option but would prefer them in SS. Nickel tarnishes fast when exposed to moisture and within seconds water drips out on cold starts.

I'll contact my exhaust shop where they do custom SS lines. For them cut a tube and add a simple flare is prolly 2 minutes of work per side. I do then what you did, add a screw/hole to keep it in place and be done.
Without upsetting many, I go with the slightly turned down exit tips as shown in the chassis drawing etc.  The last 18" is 304 brushed stainless welded to the main pipework so doesn't tarnish, just needs a scrub with steel wool & thinners.  It protrudes slightly beyond the valance to avoid black exhaust contamination but not running rich ( for now ).  It's only 2 1/4" system so fairly tame compared to some I hear.

To each his own

PKJ

I'm in the same boat as many- 2.5" exhaust system with Flowmasters. The 429 CJ-R with long-tube headers has a thunderous and ratty growl, which is perfect for the occasional weekend drive. I would change the mufflers if it was driven more often. It has nice clean looking tailpipes exiting the rear valence at just the right length, but I'd love to have factory-appearing tips added at some point. They just complete the rear end of the car IMO. I saw a pair of OEM tips at one point which were around $600 for the pair if I recall correctly.

Back