Leaking carburettor ( 4150)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
I have Prosystems  modified Holley 4150 carburettor in my Mach 1.

It is ab. three years old. Car sits still during the winter and when commissioned for the  summer activity  my friend noticed that when I was starting the car  the carb started to leak. He told me that this is the cause  of modern  fuel that ruins the seals...

Are there any seals that can withstand the modern fuels  / long period of not using the vehicle so that I need not to change the seals  avery other year ?

I have Prosystems  modified Holley 4150 carburettor in my Mach 1.

It is ab. three years old. Car sits still during the winter and when commissioned for the  summer activity  my friend noticed that when I was starting the car  the carb started to leak. He told me that this is the cause  of modern  fuel that ruins the seals...

Are there any seals that can withstand the modern fuels  / long period of not using the vehicle so that I need not to change the seals  avery other year ?
Can you tell exactly where it is leaking from? The regular Holley blue non-stick gaskets are made to withstand fuels with alcohol. My car sits for months at a time and doesn't see very many miles each year and I have had the same gaskets in it for years with no issues.

Any new kit should have the correct type seals. NAPA or any parts supply should be able to get. I have had great results burning ethanol free 90 octane with Lucas gas additive and also Stabil. Operating temp of engine way down with the fuel additive from Lucas. It takes the place of the lead that use to lubricate the valves.

You are not very specific on where it is leaking. You might try to just tighten the screws some but do not get to aggressive they are easy to strip with just a screw driver. If coming out a vent tube float stuck or valve stuck.

Holley should have number stamped on it so you get the correct kit.

Back