1971 Boss 351 unrestored on E bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a good one to restore. 30k to 40k in the restoration and you could have a really nice car that would be worth about 60k+.

If I were one of those that had the money i would suck her up and drive it.

To me that is one of the top Mustangs out there.  Grabber Yellow Boss 351.  The only thing greater would be an original yellow GT500 in my book.

kcmash

I have to live within my means, but I sure Dream outside of them....

Where on earth can you get one of these restored for 30 - 40,000? If you do a ground up nut and bolt correct Concourse restore on about any car minimum of $85,000 and can easily go over $100,000. You will not find a shop less than $500 a day for one man to work on it. That is only 170 days or 1,360 hours. Tough to do one in that time plus all the cost of the materials. Just paint and materials to do body is easy to go over $3,000.

Yes you can do yourself for maybe $40,000 but sooooo much time.

I suspect the engine not right they are saying will not check it. All you have to do is look with a mirror on the block and transmission.

The carb is probably gone see the holly sticker they are $5,000 - $8,000 just for that.

Very low on options also.

I do like the Boss 351 better than 302 or 429 but all of them are a black hole money pit to restore correctly.

With nobody bidding more think the same thing. When they do bid it will be joke bidders that never close the deal.

Yep, amazing how popular the Holleys were in the 70's.  The owner probably had the accelerator pump go bad on the original carb and went straight to a Holley.  Or got coaxed by his Chevy friends to put a "real" carb on it and put the stickers under the hood.  

By the looks of this one, it's almost like someone stored it outside with the hood removed looking at the oxidation on the valve covers and intake.

BUT...... Still has a rev limiter, still has the Ram-Air setup, Power steering, and the correct shifter with boot.  Those are some of the rare things to find for a 71.  If I had the means I would get that thing repainted and running and let the parts come as they will.  I think the original parts will come down in the future as generations change.  I was watching reverse Lockout rods for the 4-Speed got for $150 and up for a while then nabbed one for $50 a year later.  Also paid $50 for an original, date coded, tagged Autolite Carb for an M-code.  Not sure I'll ever use it as the Holley on mine runs good so far.  So there are always deals out there that pop up, you never know what will come your way.

Having said that, I have never restored a Boss, so I can't argue with you.  In restoring/modifying my Mach 1 I have found the few parts that seem to very difficult to find and are not reproduced:

Weatherstrip Channel for the A to C pillar

The S Tube for the high pressure Power Steering Hose

The 71 $-speed shifter boot. (D-Shaped profile, rectangle hole)

kcmash

Oh, yes.  And the Space Saver Spare(odd for a non-fold down) , and the drip fingers for the valve covers.

I changed my mind.  If I had It I think I would just get her running and enjoy the drive.  Yes, stabilize the rusty areas, but why tear it down restore it and put it in a Museum?  Just have fun with that one.

kcmash

To me that is one of the top Mustangs out there.  Grabber Yellow Boss 351.  The only thing greater would be an original yellow GT500 in my book.

kcmash

Like this?

69 Shelby8.jpg

kcmash

Like this?
Yes Mike, Just like that!  Not sure if you are rubbing it in or adding me to your inheritance beneficiary list since you know it would be appreciated.   ::thumb::

kcmash

As far as this particular car is concerned, without looking at it and checking it over good it may or may not be worth getting. If it doesn't need a bunch of metal work and has the right #'s I could live with headers and the wrong carb.

Definitely would be too expensive to pay someone else to restore it. Like I said If my wife would let be sell the Chevelle I would jump on it for the right price . I already tried to trade it for a nice 71 429 Torino GT and she shut down that deal real quick. She would trade for a nice Starliner.

As far as this particular car is concerned, without looking at it and checking it over good it may or may not be worth getting. If it doesn't need a bunch of metal work and has the right #'s I could live with headers and the wrong carb.

Definitely would be too expensive to pay someone else to restore it. Like I said If my wife would let be sell the Chevelle I would jump on it for the right price . I already tried to trade it for a nice 71 429 Torino GT and she shut down that deal  real quick. She would trade for a nice Starliner.
Which price would be fair for this Boss?

If it's numbers matching or a Boss 351 warranty replacement block it could be worth sinking some money into. If not, it would still be a shame to see it continue to rot away. Someone could sink just enough money into it to keep it on the road, and chip away at the restoration. No idea on the underside, cowl, etc. Yes I think the days are long gone to think of a $40K complete classic car restoration at a pro shop. $30K might get you a really nice driver however. I think the metalwork is always the killer in the deal- how much does it really need... If this one has original paint then at least it doesn't look like it is hiding too many sins with what can be seen. Mike you have a good sense of humor, dangling a pic of the Shelby GT500. LOL

kcmash

Like this?
Yes Mike, Just like that!  Not sure if you are rubbing it in or adding me to your inheritance beneficiary list since you know it would be appreciated.   ::thumb::

kcmash
Adding you to the inheritance beneficiary list, as I know it would be appreciated with you!!

Like this?

kcmash
Adding you to the inheritance beneficiary list, as I know it would be appreciated with you!!
Wait a minute... you mean I have been coming to Michigan to wash and wax the cars, sweep the floors and clean the restrooms when

I could have just emailed  :chin:

Last edited by a moderator:

kcmash
Wait a minute... you mean I have been coming to Michigan to wash and wax the cars, sweep the floors and clean the restrooms when

I could have just emailed  :chin:
Yep.  But that earned you top spot!!!!!!

Back