Nuther new guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketmans2k

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach I Q Code w/toploader
Hi all! New guy checking in from Houston. I have a '73 Mach I Q Code that I picked up on CL about a year and a half ago. It was missing an engine, but otherwise in excellent shape and intact. I believe the car is a survivor due to the lack of modifications and condition of the "fuel" that was left in the tank. I'm pretty sure it hasn't run in 20 years or more, but it has been living inside and somewhat taken care of. 

I've had 3 "Flatback" Mustangs, as well as a '69 Mach I and a '66 Coupe. I picked up this particular car because it was missing an engine and I happened to have a '70 351C 4V in pieces in my garage, so this gave me a good reason to build it after 30 years of toting it around like a boat anchor. I just knew that I would eventually find a worthy home for a vintage Cleveland with quench heads, and it finally plopped in my lap!

I took the motor block and heads to Owens Racing Engines in Pearland, TX for a complete overhaul, including bore and stroke to 392 CI and full roller cam. I topped it off with an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold and matching 650 carb. Spark comes from a Pertonix Flame Thrower III HEI coil and distributor, while the spent gasses go through a slick set of Sanderson Shorty headers. Accessory drive is from a CVF Racing serpentine belt drive and pulley set. Dyno runs at the engine shop put it at 434hp@5500 and 450ft/lb@4600. Not bad for a 49 year-old motor. The 4-speed Toploader that the car came with was taken to David Kee Toploaders in San Antonio for a complete rebuild. Man, does that guy know his Toploaders!

The car is in the latter stages of build, with just a handful of things left to do before I turn the key for the first time. Thanks to all on this forum for the wealth of knowledge. I could not have gotten this far without you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome from the other side of the world!

Well the picture of the car is from the day I brought it home after its first and only wash. Yes, it's very much rust free. There was some cancer under the battery tray which was cut out by the body shop when they sprayed my engine bay. There are some minor holes in the trunk floor that can wait for a future resto, but the worst spots for these cars are very clean on this one (torque boxes, floorboards, rear quarters, etc.). You might also notice the driver's side front has a Cragar wheel while the other three are aluminum slots. There was some minor damage in the wheel well, suggesting a blown tire or fender bender at some point. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge of the history of the car, but after inspecting it, I definitely scored big time! The odometer reads 96k, and based on the fact it had stock exhaust, stock harnesses/connectors, and the general condition of the interior (8/10), I truly believe 96k to be the correct mileage. I suppose it's possible that some PO restored it to stock condition 30+ years ago, but as I mentioned, the gunk in the gas tank had been there for quite some time and the interior, although aged, has not been redone.

All that is to say that there wasn't really a proper "build" because the car was in such great shape when I got it. I have replaced the brakes and suspension, hoses, U-joints, and refurbished a number of engine bay components, but generally speaking it was stuff one would normally do with an old car of unknown history. I did put Wilwood drilled and slotted rotors on the front, with KYB shocks all around, and the aforementioned drive system and performance enhancements, but from the outside she's pretty stock looking. I have decided to put American Racing Vector (General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard) wheels on it with 275/60R15 and 225/70R15 Radial TAs. I also have a set of Lakewood traction bars that I may install later. I also refurbished the grille with some old parts and some new parts. I figure I'll drive it for a few months and see what else needs to be done.

I'll post more pics once she's off the stands and has the fenders and hood on.

My goal is to drive it in good weather, with a trip or two to the track just to see what she'll do. Side from that, just showing it off at meets and snapping heads in traffic.

Hi all! New guy checking in from Houston. I have a '73 Mach I Q Code that I picked up on CL about a year and a half ago. It was missing an engine, but otherwise in excellent shape and intact. I believe the car is a survivor due to the lack of modifications and condition of the "fuel" that was left in the tank. I'm pretty sure it hasn't run in 20 years or more, but it has been living inside and somewhat taken care of. 

I've had 3 "Flatback" Mustangs, as well as a '69 Mach I and a '66 Coupe. I picked up this particular car because it was missing an engine and I happened to have a '70 351C 4V in pieces in my garage, so this gave me a good reason to build it after 30 years of toting it around like a boat anchor. I just knew that I would eventually find a worthy home for a vintage Cleveland with quench heads, and it finally plopped in my lap!

I took the motor block and heads to Owens Racing Engines in Pearland, TX for a complete overhaul, including bore and stroke to 392 CI and full roller cam. I topped it off with an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold and matching 650 carb. Spark comes from a Pertonix Flame Thrower III HEI coil and distributor, while the spent gasses go through a slick set of Sanderson Shorty headers. Accessory drive is from a CVF Racing serpentine belt drive and pulley set. Dyno runs at the engine shop put it at 434hp@5500 and 450ft/lb@4600. Not bad for a 49 year-old motor. The 4-speed Toploader that the car came with was taken to David Kee Toploaders in San Antonio for a complete rebuild. Man, does that guy know his Toploaders!

The car is in the latter stages of build, with just a handful of things left to do before I turn the key for the first time. Thanks to all on this forum for the wealth of knowledge. I could not have gotten this far without you guys!

Welcome fellow Texan!  Nice looking machine you got there and yore build looks like its coming along very well.  I have a 72 Mach 1 that is currently being rewired at Kemah Custom Classics.  I hope to have it back before too long.  Hope to meet up with you soon.  I picked up mine on eBay in April of 18.  Restored engine, tranny and body but everything else was shot.  Once the wiring is complete, A/C and a few engine mods will be forthcoming.  The first pic is from the eBay listing from Nebraska and the second is from my driveway in Clear Lake.  Lemme know if yore interested!

Welcome from Oregon. Looks like you're going to have a nice ride.

Just my opinion but I believe that engine would be a lot happier with a 750+ cfm carburetor. Clevelands like a lot of air, even stock 351Cs do well with 700+ cfm.

Welcome fellow Texan!  Nice looking machine you got there and yore build looks like its coming along very well.  I have a 72 Mach 1 that is currently being rewired at Kemah Custom Classics.  I hope to have it back before too long.  Hope to meet up with you soon.  I picked up mine on eBay in April of 18.  Restored engine, tranny and body but everything else was shot.  Once the wiring is complete, A/C and a few engine mods will be forthcoming.  The first pic is from the eBay listing from Nebraska and the second is from my driveway in Clear Lake.  Lemme know if yore interested!

Every time I see a black 72 or 73 I have to ask if it if factory? Black was not optional in 72 or 73 but could be Special Ordered and will have the 6 digit DSO code. The 72 in a Mach 1 would have came with a chrome bumper and I see yours has one. Just curious if it is original.

Looks like your interior is black Mach 1 Sports Interior. They made 60 fastbacks in 72 with special paint and trim that had the GA interior code for black SI.

If it is factory black did you find your build sheet? It will have instructions to install the chrome bumper instead of rubber. The reason they did that is they did not have the black paint with elastomer in it to paint the bumpers so they swap for chrome.

Now to welcome the new member from North Carolina. I have an original 73 mach 1 with 12,000 miles that resides in the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum in Concord, N.C..

Glad your build is moving along and enjoy the car for sure. Sounds like you have a great engine to motivate you around town, lol.

Back