Vacuum Diagrams

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande
I have a question about the VacuumHoseDiagrams.pdf document that has been referred to many times in different threads:

How do you know which calibration to use for a particular engine such as "Vacuum hose routing‐1973 302, calibration 3‐10A" vs "Vacuum hose routing‐1973 302, calibration 3‐11A"?

I get the difference between with and without A/C, but beyond that I'm lost.

Does it have something to do with what components are there?  For instance, 3-10A shows a Spark Delay Valve but 3-11A doesn't. Is it that simple?

Can someone clue me in?

Mike

Yes, it's that simple. For instance, the same engine with two different transmissions will have two different calibrations, as will the same engine with different carburetors, etc. Some are also to meet California emissions requirements.

I have a question about the VacuumHoseDiagrams.pdf document that has been referred to many times in different threads:

How do you know which calibration to use for a particular engine such as "Vacuum hose routing‐1973 302, calibration 3‐10A" vs "Vacuum hose routing‐1973 302, calibration 3‐11A"?

I get the difference between with and without A/C, but beyond that I'm lost.

Does it have something to do with what components are there?  For instance, 3-10A shows a Spark Delay Valve but 3-11A doesn't. Is it that simple?

Can someone clue me in?

Mike
On the second page of the PDF, there's an application chart. 3-10A is Maverick/Comet/Mustang 302-2V with manual trans, 3-11A is same apps but automatic trans. The other Mustang applicable listing 3-11D is identical to 3-11A.

To add to confusion, on the 1973_full.pdf,  page 12 electrical diagram, I follow the 302 wire through the ambient temp switch and then the 302 iis not shown.  I thought maybe an error in the diagram.
I see that, but have never seen a TRS system on a 302 car. Maybe someone has a link to a true Ford wiring diagram. That one looks like the one in the back of the Haynes Mustang manual.

Another source for the layouts of the vacuum lines is the copies of the actual Ford layouts used on the assembly line. Jim Osborne in Atlanta got the originals and his son told me they are copies of them that they sell. The only issue I have with them is that the illustrations are so light difficult to read.  He has all of the original assembly manuals used on the assembly line during the builds. There are mistakes in them, lol. They give the finishes used on all the fasteners and also the torque values for each fastener. I think it shows to tighten the accelerator pedal bolts to 110 Ft. Lbs. Torque, lol.

You probably are missing your calibration sticker here is one on my Mach 1. Tells everything about the engine used. You can order repo of them from Osborne and about any mustang supply house. The issue is they do not have all of them. I have never found the one for my California 73 vert with H code.

Here is link to their web site but I could not get it to open for some reason.

osborn-reproduction.com/catalog/SearchByMake.asphttps://www.bing.com/search?q=jim o...k=&cvid=7A129EFF1F824CBABFB21468BD74617E#[/URL]

Jim Osborne passed away some time back but his son still shows up at major shows, some pics of his display at the Maggie Valley Mustang show last year.

DSC-0962.jpg

David,

Thanks for the info. You're right, I don't have the sticker you show on your valve cover. PO replaced the stock covers with finned aluminum. I do have the factory air cleaner cover with the stickers though.

I'll check out the Osborne site. 

Thanks again,

Mike

Back