F-i-n-a-l-l-y I’m going to be an owner, not just lurker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]

[/b]

Greetings all - Yes, finally found my Mustang! I’ve searched, watched and waited until the right combo of features, condition and $ hit the sweet spot. There only so long one can tolerate “D’oh! Missed another one”, right?

And I’m quite sure I’ll be back with many questions, but for now, the specs: 1973 Mustang Convertible, 351 4V CJ, C6, Mach 1 decor package, nicely optioned (a/c, p/s, p/b, p/w, Rally Pac gauges), medium yellow with black cloth interior. Literally a “barn find”, but once cleaned up, gassed up and charged up, started the first time. That’s promising.

Many discoveries to be made, I’m sure, once I get it home. THEN the fun begins! I’m planning to stay true to authentic as possible, certainly no irreversible or obvious changes but perhaps a few upgrades (eventually) such as tilt wheel & cruise.

ALL tips/tricks/hints/suggestions welcome.

D766639B-7A16-4542-AADC-99FDDCB3A8FB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations ! Power Window , AC, Convert (power top?) car !!! Just goes to show that patience, in both buying (and then going at the car) pays off .

I have been offered a few car (many makes) that "had the finder" NOT replaced the important original parts HASTILY (read turned in for cores) I would have paid much more or bought. (One was a Boss, one was Camaro )

Mark

Congrats on giving a 7173 a home and some TLC -- good starting point - with some home improvements you could make that look and drive like a new one.  ::thumb::

[/b]

Greetings all - Yes, finally found my Mustang! I’ve searched, watched and waited until the right combo of features, condition and $ hit the sweet spot. There only so long one can tolerate “D’oh! Missed another one”, right?

And I’m quite sure I’ll be back with many questions, but for now, the specs: 1973 Mustang Convertible, 351 4V CJ, C6, Mach 1 decor package, nicely optioned (a/c, p/s, p/b, p/w, Rally Pac gauges), medium yellow with black cloth interior. Literally a “barn find”, but once cleaned up, gassed up and charged up, started the first time. That’s promising.

Many discoveries to be made, I’m sure, once I get it home. THEN the fun begins! I’m planning to stay true to authentic as possible, certainly no irreversible or obvious changes but perhaps a few upgrades (eventually) such as tilt wheel & cruise.

Glad you found one like you wanted and welcome to the forum.

Got to work on your descriptions of the options, lol. There was no Mach 1 package. You could get the Décor Group and that would allow you to get the side stripes and gave you the Mach 1 grill.

Also there were no CJ or Cobra Jets built in 73. Ford dropped that designation in 72. Your air cleaner decal should say 351 4-V if it is a Q code.

You can order a simple Marti report for $18.00 that will show how your car was built at the factory.

The blacked out hood and locks were an option on all models as were the gauge package.

The leather wrapped steering wheel is one of the more rare options. Marti does not even list it in his book but was an option.

Post up a pic of the engine and your door sticker if you have one. I think I looked at this car on ebay back of now.

Welcome from San Diego. Congrats on the new ride.
Thanks -- As you're another SoCal resident (I'm in/near Palm Springs) I may be hitting you up for good local resources, the types that don't have a web address ;)

Oh said:
Consider one of these wheels.. I certainly don't regret getting rid of the cumbersome original. 

:whistling:

Consider one of these wheels.. I certainly don't regret getting rid of the cumbersome original. 
+1

[ I’d love to find a rim-blow three spoke. But holy crap! Ya seen the prices on those?]

Yeah crazy, gave my 73 3 spoke in perfect state away for free to another mustang lover friend, kuz he have long arms and tiny little hands.

Me, my bigger hands and short arms never regretted and we're enjoying a good grip/feel on the car with a custom wheel.

For my 71, same plan but I'll keep that thing dusting for the sake of having it.

Looks like a nicely optioned car. As David said, no "Mach 1" package, as the Mach 1 was it's own specific model and body code in the sportsroof. You can't have a Mach 1 convertible or coupe, though many have tried to pawn that off on others. 

The interior is standard 73 convertible, as they all came with the Deluxe knitted vinyl that year. It's also referred to as Comfortweave, bu the 72-73 fabric is unique. Gages in a 71-73 Mustang are called the Instrumentation Group, Rally Pac is 65-67 Mustang and other year Mopar fare. The leather two spoke is a very rare option. The center pad is available reproduction as underneath it's a regular Deluxe wheel and I'm sure there's somewhere that could re-cover it in leather to match the original stitching. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-options-Original-CA-car-/223540909007?hash=item340c1393cf%3Ag%3AWfUAAOSwEDhc9pQg&nma=true&si=ca0hsfbmzkq4rxhfqcSBBJRIGn8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Keep in mind that it's been 47 years since the '73s came off the assembly line and lots have happened since then. Definitely get at least the Deluxe report from Marti, as that'll tell you exactly what the car was equipped with when it rolled out of the assembly plant. Many cars have been optioned with what David so aptly refers to as the "Owner Preference Package", which usually includes stripes, spoilers, a hood blackout, hood locks and chrome tips hanging out the rear. This car seems to have been spared some of that as everything I see under the hood looks very original.

The seller did mis-decode the door tag, "9" rear axle is 3.25 open, not a 3.50 as he said. 

Please do get rid of those tires ASAP before going anywhere, as they are 80's vintage and are completely unsafe to drive on. 

I've attached the '73 facts book for your reference.

1973 Mustang Facts Book _ Rev 1 73.pdf

Attachments

• 1973 Mustang Facts Book _ Rev 1 73.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 7
Glad you found one like you wanted and welcome to the forum.

Got to work on your descriptions of the options, lol. There was no Mach 1 package. You could get the Décor Group and that would allow you to get the side stripes and gave you the Mach 1 grill.

Also there were no CJ or Cobra Jets built in 73. Ford dropped that designation in 72. Your air cleaner decal should say 351 4-V if it is a Q code.

You can order a simple Marti report for $18.00 that will show how your car was built at the factory.

The blacked out hood and locks were an option on all models as were the gauge package.

The leather wrapped steering wheel is one of the more rare options. Marti does not even list it in his book but was an option.

Post up a pic of the engine and your door sticker if you have one. I think I looked at this car on ebay back of now.
Yeah... sorry about that. It was half delirium from “what have I done?!”/half long-ago memories dredged up when I posted.

I certainly should have said Decor Group (d’oh! I knew that) “that gives Mach 1 styling”. 

Of course... a car 46 years old has a high chance of many mods over the years, but I did order the Marti Report so at least I know “as built”. “As exists” will require much closer examination. Ex:  Barely seen in interior photos, the cloth inserts were typically only available in closed top cars.

And thanks — I hadn’t even considered the trashed wheel as possibly the leather wrapped rarity!

Back