Carb Suggestion/Recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 with 351C.
I have been reading everything that I can find on the subject and just wanted to float this out there for any more info that you all may have.  I have a 351C 2V and am looking at converting to 4 Barrel setup.  As far as I know, it's still stock inside.  I have pretty much narrowed the manifold down to the Edelbrock Performer but the carb is leaving me with a lot of questions.  I am fairly certain that I will use a Summit Carb with electric chock, but can't decide which one, 500, 600 or 750.  I've read a lot on each one but can't decide.  Will be used mainly for daily driver, weekend cruiser and the occasional light to light runner should the need arise.  Any suggestions/recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I have been reading everything that I can find on the subject and just wanted to float this out there for any more info that you all may have.  I have a 351C 2V and am looking at converting to 4 Barrel setup.  As far as I know, it's still stock inside.  I have pretty much narrowed the manifold down to the Edelbrock Performer but the carb is leaving me with a lot of questions.  I am fairly certain that I will use a Summit Carb with electric chock, but can't decide which one, 500, 600 or 750.  I've read a lot on each one but can't decide.  Will be used mainly for daily driver, weekend cruiser and the occasional light to light runner should the need arise.  Any suggestions/recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
600 cfm vacuum secondary should do the trick.

I have the performer on my 73 H code vert with a 4150 holley that would be 650 cfm I believe.

You will need a 1" thick 4 hole spacer and a 5/16" heat insulator plate to go under the carb. This gets the throttle linkage and kick down linkage in good alignment.

I just took and old EGR plate out from under mine and put the 1" plate in.

I put the smaller Edelbrock air cleaner on so it would clear the MSD cap.

My engine has cam, bored .050" over with flat top pistons. It runs pretty good for a H code engine.

I went with the gaskets on the intake just along where it meets the head and gasket on each end. I did not go with the turkey pan gasket. It was in the 90's the other day and saw no difference in performance.

You should do couple timed runs before you change. I would be interested to know the change.

I have the Edelbrock 600 CFM and large plenum -- but have no idea (because I'm an ignorant numpty) whether the engine benefits? ... the big boys in here who know 351C tuning will tell you. 

I would actually ask the expertz "why" ... did they know the Cam lift and the valve opening clearance, did the know if it runs rollers or flats?... Horses comes from the mix of all these things and timing ... the experts know that; just sticking more inflammable fluid in the pot ain't cutting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have a '73, then David's info is completely accurate and applicable. The EGR spacer raises the carb up a bit, so you might need to use an aftermarket spacer to make sure your throttle linkage is aligned. The 73 uses a D3AZ part # throttle bracket, so it wouldn't surprise me if Ford made the bracket taller to accommodate the extra height of the EGR equipped engines.

Back