Need ideas for a steering wheel.............

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Quinn

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q-Code 351 CJ
I love the '73 mach One I bought almost two weeks ago. Got some small parts i needed installed already. The wheels and tires should be here later today.

I want to change the steering wheel. It now has the factory rim-blow wheel, but I want a bit smaller diameter with a fatter gripping area. I want something pretty easy to swap. I ain't a mechanic. I work on guns, and figure that a steering wheel swap should not be too big of a deal. Just trying to perfect my Mustang!

Any good ideas from you fellows?

Can't beat a Grant. Come in all diameters and styles you could want. personallly i like the walnut wood. Sets the interior off. Easy to install with a steering wheel puller. About an hour. Good luck

I got a Grant Wheel with the optional Mustang horn button. It was easy to install, but I could never get the horn button to work...LOL! Mainly because the previous owner did some rewiring somewhere along the line!

attachment.php

I got a Grant Wheel with the optional Mustang horn button. It was easy to install, but I could never get the horn button to work...LOL! Mainly because the previous owner did some rewiring somewhere along the line!

attachment.php
Sounds like you have a married horn in that car.

Haha...actually, there is a button hidden under the dash for the horn!

I love the '73 mach One I bought almost two weeks ago. Got some small parts i needed installed already. The wheels and tires should be here later today.

I want to change the steering wheel. It now has the factory rim-blow wheel, but I want a bit smaller diameter with a fatter gripping area. I want something pretty easy to swap. I ain't a mechanic. I work on guns, and figure that a steering wheel swap should not be too big of a deal. Just trying to perfect my Mustang!

Any good ideas from you fellows?
You will need a gear puller. What are your plans for the old one :rolleyes:

I have a '71 Grande two spoke and thought about getting a three spoke rimfire.

If I were you, I would keep the original parts.

Can't remember how many times I have said "this job shouldn't be that big a deal" :p It really is not.

mike

I will hang the original steering wheel up in the garage. I think it should be kept near the car.

Jeff

I have exactly the same type of Grant steering wheel as Rocketfoot. It's a great looking wheel and feels good to hold and I love it, but IMO the horn button is quite rudimentary in design - my button kept setting the horn off every now and again when I turned the wheel so in the end I just disconnected the wires going to it. Will get around to putting a separate horn button under the dash soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had same Grant wheel as Rocketfoot and Flatback72 in my 71 Grande. Never did get the horn to work at wheel. Put horn button on side of B&M shifter.
Why do you guys need a horn? Just take your right foot, put it on the gas pedal, and push down as hard as you can...If they can't here you at that point, you ain't loud enough.

Why do you guys need a horn? Just take your right foot, put it on the gas pedal, and push down as hard as you can...If they can't here you at that point, you ain't loud enough.
::thumb:: Way to go! And the look on their faces is priceless! :D

On a serious note: I got the Grant walnut wheel and yes, I got the horn working but the big chrome center piece/horn button will come off every now and then, especially when I have someone riding along for the first time or when passing gaping by-standers with the top down. It's slightly embarrassing, to say the least.

And it's a PITA to make it stick. I used superglue out of despair but the day I need to remove it, the base will probably come off in pieces...

I'm thinking of going back to the original two spoke one.

Back