Patching up the quarter panel - how I did it.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I had a couple folks on the forum message me specific questions about patching up the quarter panels on my car.  When I patched up the passenger side I tried to capture what I did on video.  Hope this helps - I tried to answer the questions in the video.  FYI- by no means am I a pro, so don't cringe!

This forum gets better by the day thanks to people like you @Bentworker! Thanks for sharing.

One welding detail I'd like to add: If you can get your hands on a piece of copper, the heat will be absorbed very fast by the copper. Less heat in your panel, less chance for warping...

I was using aluminium before but I saw copper is much more effective. And to close a gap on thin material like in this case, you can start on it and the welds are flush on the other side. I bought this piece a while back but tried it only in past weeks.

Here's the little guy in action... of course any flat piece of copper would do. but the strong magnets would hold it nicely on the inside.

Right after each weld, I dip it in a bucket of cool water...

Very nice video! Just a helpful hint for next time your fitting a panel don’t be afraid to use self tapping screws to hold the panel in place. Then when you make your cut with your body saw you can cut through both pieces of metal at same time for s perfect line and gap. Even if your line is not straight, both panels will match up perfect. Very nice work! I used the same patch panels and they needed a lot of work to be useable too!

I like the self tapping screw idea.

I used copper backing- works great! Didn’t mention it in the video but if you break out your eagle eye you can see two chunks (one bare copper - one tinned) in the tool section of the video.

I had a couple folks on the forum message me specific questions...
Forgot to ask, the blue clips you use, they are turn/push type holding with a spring?

or are they similar of these screw in types?

https://www.matthys.net/nl/las-clips-met-regelschroef-4-st-1212989

https://www.matthys.net/nl/las-clips-5-st-1212969

If you have with springs, and would know where to buy them or better how they are called or brand, that would help.
The ones I have are very similar to the ones shown in the links.  They are screw style.

I battled the car again today. The stamped recess for the marker lights were not deep enough and uneven. So I took a few hours to make a stamping tool and was extremely happy with the results. Repop sheetmetal problems!

To explain the photos you will see the one with the light trim proud of the quarter panel. Another one with it flush. And a few pictures of the tool. It used a couple Greenlee knockout punches to drive it, and you control the depth of the stamp with shims.

Back