aod mountimg question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang
well im 99% finished with my aod to 351 c converson and i ran in to a problem... when i mount the torq converter to the trans it spins fine and the fly wheel to the torq converter it spins as well, then i move to install the trans to engine it bolts up fine, ok so far so good now when put the fly wheel to the torq converter it spins fine but when i bolt it up all the way and mount it all to gether i cant spin anything its locked up. i have changed converters put a new pump for my trans in and nothing. the one thing i did find is if i put 2 washers on the torq converter studs that pushes the converter out a little then it spins fine..... so im at a loss what i was thinking was maybe if i get a flater flywheel... if they make one, if you ever seel the aod flywheel it cones out a bit i might need like a flat one, any one that has done this converson please help or if you know about trans misions. even the shop thats doing the work is stumped. so any and all info is welcome THANKS!!

Well, I'm not much help, but I'm glad to see a post on this conversion. I would like to do the same. For what it's worth, I installed a 700R4 in a Chevy Blazer, and the directions said to shim if necessary so the torque converter was the proper distance from the flexplate. Think the dimensions were 3/8 to 1/8 maybe? Anyway, mine didn't require shims.

You might consider contacting "Broader Performance Transmission" in Weatherford Texas. I've not used them but they have a good reputation on other Ford specific forums. You sound like a very determined individual. You will figure it out and make it work. Chuck

Having installed 1 or 2 of these in the past it has been my experience that if the tourqe converter is not in far enough to make good contact with the pump the engine and transmission will be bound.

If you are using the correct flywheel and torque converter shims up to .125 are not uncommon.

I have seen several how-to's in the 5.0 Mustang community on installing an AOD.

IIRC, there are 3 "steps/clunks" that the converter makes before being seated into the pump correctly. And there is a converter face to bellhousing depth measurement... I'll try to find the pages and post 'em.

I would say contact broaders too. I have dealt with them in the past and they were a great help and very knowledgeable. Hope you figure this out because I am looking into doing this same swap in my 71 mach

good Luck Kevin

ok ok after a long...well about a week if harcore searching on the wonderfull google machine i found this http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/54525-will-aod-bolt-up-351-cleveland.html and this guy had the same problem i had EXACTLEY the same runed my pump..and converter so i think this is it!! Thanks guys/gals i will tell u if it work!!! if it does...no when it does any aod to 351 questions just ask i think i can answer them
you need a 28 oz flexplate from an FMX or C6 application, also make sure pilot bushing hole in crank is clean and there are no remnants of bushing in there.

Also check that the converter is seated all the way before installing, the best way is to take some measurements and make sure the converter clearance is correct.

Let me know if I can help, good luck

Back