CAR CONNECTIONS 2

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
I just found a really interesting connection - I certainly didn't know it until I discovered it this morning. 

What is the connection between...guess who... "Buick"... and all your engines?

I just found a really interesting connection - I certainly didn't know it until I discovered it this morning. 

Overhead valves?

That is a tough one to call. I have seen cars in the 1917 year with OHV.

Maybe strut suspension or coil springs. I know GM played with that early.

Pierce Arrow invented the hydraulic lifter and held the patent for headlights incorporated into the fender.

Some early cars had no valve covers and no oil pan. Oil just ran out on the ground and dust and dirt got into the engine.

Overhead valves?
Hi Midlife 

You got it.

I hadn't realized how much Buick had led the cutting edge of new ideas  -- and how all those innovations influenced development of all automobiles -- some still in cars today.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the year? A local couple has a 1910 Buick they bring out to shows. Lots of brass. I took pics of it at last show but camera is in the garage.
dates on Internet vary .... I saw 1907  ::shrug::

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many really cool/good features we're missing today or even lives lost because of the patent trolls and association of manufacturers to kill any new comer.

The Tucker for instance, much faster and safer than most cars of its time. Had discs brakes on all wheels, safety belts, PS, directional lights... and that in 1948!

25 years later, my stang had "optional" front discs brakes...

I wonder how many really cool/good features we're missing today or even lives lost because of the patent trolls and association of manufacturers to kill any new comer.

The Tucker for instance, much faster and safer than most cars of its time. Had discs brakes on all wheels, safety belts, PS, directional lights... and that in 1948! 

25 years later, my stang had "optional" front discs brakes...
Yes true, but not all of their ideas were golden.  There was a passenger side crash chamber that one would crawl into to lessen the impact.  To be fair, at that time the safety of the big three was questionable as well.  Seat belts, who needs those...  ;)  And a engine derived from a helicopter might not have worked out too well on a grand scale.  Certainly out of the box thinking.

Back