73 Convertible - 351CJ special order paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Saw this on the Classic Mustang page on Facebook - in Louisiana. Very nicely optioned and doesn't look rusty. Original purple color peeking out behind the door tag.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/435995197246443/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/435995197246443/

One of one produced in Purple! Currently Painted Pink but Original Color was Purple! 351CJ, Auto,Air, Tilt Wheel, Power Windows, White Interior, Car has rust and needs complete restoration, partially disassembled, has not been started in 5 years, Many New Parts, $4600, call Mickey at 225-413-7790

So I pulled the trigger and bought this one too! The original color is more like a metallic Fuchsia. I bought some 1973 Ford/Lincoln color paint swatch sheets and think I found the color. It will be a really cool car if I ever get the time to restore it! Nice list of factory options.

So I pulled the trigger and bought this one too! The original color is more like a metallic Fuchsia. I bought some 1973 Ford/Lincoln color paint swatch sheets and think I found the color. It will be a really cool car if I ever get the time to restore it! Nice list of factory options.
 No wonder I couldn't buy it to go next to my 73 Pink convertible project, you got to it first!!! 

Guess I'll have to work on my other ones in the meantime!!

kevken1959:

Trying to take over the entire 7123 inventory of the US! Soon, we'll be going to him for parts instead of Don at OMS...

No wonder I couldn't buy it to go next to my 73 Pink convertible project, you got to it first!!! 

Guess I'll have to work on my other ones in the meantime!!
You are a Mustang God, MotorCity! My collection pales in comparison to yours!

From what I know about the Special Paint cars is that it had to be a color that Ford offered on another model like Lincoln or T-bird. I am sure if you had a company with there own color they would go with it. But when I order one in 73 I was told I could get any color Ford offered on any car line the had. Remember the front bumper and the rear bumper fillers will be Argent. Hope the saved you the build sheet that tells that.

From what I know about the Special Paint cars is that it had to be a color that Ford offered on another model like Lincoln or T-bird. I am sure if you had a company with there own color they would go with it. But when I order one in 73 I was told I could get any color Ford offered on any car line the had. Remember the front bumper and the rear bumper fillers will be Argent. Hope the saved you the build sheet that tells that.
Thanks David. Good advice. The build sheets for both cars, unfortunately, are long gone, along with the metal that was underneath themYou are correct about the argent front bumper and bumper fillers. My black 73 Q code special paint car still has those parts covered in original argent paint. Also, I don't think any special paint cars came with dual sport mirrors. Only the chrome driver's side mirror.

I will be honest. My daughter got so excited when she saw that pic. Her dream car is a 71-73 vert in pink or purple. Keep in mind she will be 7 in Jan but spends lots of time with dad in the garage turning wrenches, or at least trying.

I will be honest. My daughter got so excited when she saw that pic. Her dream car is a 71-73 vert in pink or purple. Keep in mind she will be 7 in Jan but spends lots of time with dad in the garage turning wrenches, or at least trying.

Maybe you can buy it for her first car. It will probably take me that long to finish it, lol.

Back