Original engine

Craigneed86

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's original it will have a partial VIN stamped on the rear of the block, on the driver's side, just below the head gasket. It'll take a mirror, cell phone camera, or inspection camera to see it. The casting number and date code are on the other side of the block above the starter.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Thanks Fabrice and Not A T5, I'm from Golden. My first car was a mustang and now I get to re live that, took 5 cars to finally get one that wasn't rusted out. Found a 72 Mach 1 351 CJ 4 speed Q code. But im not sure if the engine is a 351 CJ, but its a 351 c

Hello, welcome from France.

You can check as well a small number on each corner of the heads. If you find 4 then they are 4V heads.

Mustang, Mach 1 and 351

Welcome from Iowa.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

D2AE-CA is the casting number, this number was used from 1972 to 1974, also on CobraJet engines. 2C1 is the date the block was cast, March 1, 1972.

So, if your car was built after that date it may be the original. The only way to be 100% sure is by getting the partial VIN on the block. If the last numbers on the partial VIN match the dash, buck tag, or door data plate VIN it is original.

I'm not sure what the other number is that you got. What you want is the partial VIN on the back of the block, right below the cylinder head gasket on the driver side. Here's an example

partial-vin.jpg

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

If the VIN# matches then you probably will have the Q code 4 bolt main block. If it does not match there is not way to tell if it is a 4 bolt from the outside. They used the same casting for 2 bolt and 4 bolt just machined them differently. You can machine a 2 bolt and add 4 bolt mains if you have the caps and will need align honed after install.

BTW not many of the blocks in the Mustang will have that neat of a VIN stamp. Most look like a drunk man did it and they used larger numbers for the Mustang. The picture is probably and Atlanta block.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

2C1 is the date the block was cast, March 1, 1972

my car was finished on January 12 1972

I would say that is not the original engine since the block was cast 2 months after your car was built.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

Yep your car was even sold before the engine block you have was cast.

- Jason