Chrome slats on sides of Mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IstoT

Reaction score
Howdy,

I just bought this red Mach 1 and it have chrome slats on car sides. I haven't seem them on any other Mustang so I like to know are these some factory optional accessory slats or are these third party accessories?

This car was done 09/70 and bought at USA..09/71 to Sweden..could be that these are added at Sweden. I bought this from old Swedsih chap and he was in that opinion that slats are original...but I don't think so.

Iku64,

Hello from Mississippi and welcome aboard.

There was a "Protection Package" option in 1971 that included the body side moulding with a vinyl insert and front lower bumper guards. That option was not available on your Mach 1 or Boss 351's. The wheel opening mouldings were also not available on the Mach1, but those along with the body side mouldings were popular add ons at the dealer level and aftermarket sources.

If not concerned about originality and you like them, I would leave them as that is your car to do as you please.

When you get a chance please tell us some more about your car and your plans for it!

Thanks Steve for your information.

I like them and if I not paint this I will keep them. But probably if I paint car some day those can't be attached back any more (not sure how these are attached).

I sure tell more about the car and plans for it..which are not big..:).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if things were different back then --- if you asked for something that wasn't on the official options list - would the salesman have gone out of their way to make their new customer happy.

Thx of welcomes..:).

And they are not these steel guard rails?

Welcome from CT!

I've attached the 1971 Facts Book that details all of the available options and combinations. Like Steve noted, the wheel arches and body line protection strips were often added at the dealer level. The lower bright trim that delineates the color change from red to black was part of the base Mach 1 package.

1971 Mustang Facts Book_rev Feb 15 1971.pdf

Attachments

• 1971 Mustang Facts Book_rev Feb 15 1971.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 23
Thank you very much! I read it quickly thru and found some things that are not original on my Mach 1. Clock has been changed to tachometer (that's why I have hole on left instrument glass) and clock is now at mid console.

Btw..of the topic but what is this button purpose (I found that it cancel turn signals)

The steel guard rails are inside the door panels, for some protection from being hit in the side by another car or telephone pole.

The button was used on cars that didn't have an interlock between the transmission and the steering column. The button has to be pushed in order to turn the ignition key to the off position, as a reminder to put the transmission in park (automatics) or in gear and set the parking brake (manuals).

Iku64, as Don C posted,  that is a safety item that by 1972 was on all Ford manufactured passenger cars across the entire product line. The "Steel Guard Rail" was a reinforcement inside the door that was designed to absorb and deflect side impacts in that area and provide greater occupant protection. Since performance was now just becoming a word in the dictionary, safety was one of the new words for the day back then. I had a 72 Gran Torino to take a hit in that area and can tell you they do work!

Since your Mach 1 has the optional Mach 1 Sport interior, the left side instrument cluster clock would be included in that option. The clock was standard only on the Grande. The full length console would have included a clock unless there was a clock already in the instrument cluster. In that case a block off plate with Mustang or Mach 1 would have been placed in the clock location to avoid redundancy. If equipped with the Instrumentation Group, which would place a tachometer in the left cluster, then the clock was automatically included in the console. Appears to be another popular add on to your car. 

There is also another column mounted button that is the hazard warning switch. It disengaged the turn signal function and would flash the park/turn signal and tail lights simultaneously.

The original production installed  body side protection moulding was held in place with moulding clips and fasteners. Most of the aftermarket and dealer installed were adhesive backed. The labor cost associated with attempting to installed the factory  original with all the clips would have been cost prohibitive.

According to the invoice on your vehicle, there are other items on your car that are after the fact but add to a very good looking car!    :)

Steel Guard Rail

Hazard warning Switch

Ok..thx again. I need to test does that switch turn the hazard warning signal on. Previous owner told me that there was a clock and I think he was who switched it from clock to tachometer. Also this car has been sold with smaller middle console. I have both, original clock and smaller console.

It's good to know that this car has those external safety things...and that they rely work in real situation.

Back