1971 emergency flasher not working (relay broken?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IstoT

Reaction score
Howdy,

An other thread I asked what this button purpose is and was told that it was for emergency flasher.

My problem is that if I pull button..it will do nothing else than cancel normal flasher (that should be normal thing if emergency flasher is on?).

So could it be that my emergency flasher relay is broken and I can find it somewhere above glove box?

I found another thread that right relay would be 552 flasher..is that correct and should I replace normal flasher relay at same time to same flasher when I change this?

If that 552 is correct is this ok part?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1385703&cc=1132692&jsn=1951

Is there somewhere information how I can remove glove box?

Thx,

-Iku

Last edited by a moderator:
Iku64,

No! They are working fine. The 71-73 mustangs have two flashers. One for the standard turn signal and one for the emergency flashers. The emergency flasher has a higher rating due to all of the power it takes to make all of the lights flash. The standard flasher only has one duty at a time.

The emergency flasher will bypass and or cut off the standard turn signal flashers. this by design.

Source: Ford Master Parts Cat. May 1975, Section 140.1

Howdy,

Finally I got new flasher units and after changing new one for both (emergency and normal flasher) emergency flasher is still not working. I tested old emergency flasher for normal flasher and it was working too. Also I found that there is relay over the glow box..could that be broken or is this problem cause of bad turn signal switch..can I test that somehow?

But here is short list what I have done..

1. Changed / tested both flasher relays (both works)

2. When I press brake pedal forward flasher lights goes on and inside both flasher markers goes on (this is because stop lights and emergency flasher are on same circuit / relay brake light switch ignores emergency flasher relay). It could not be fuse problem because lights are going on.

So do I need to buy new turn signal switch or can I try do something for it?

The picture shows the e-flasher circuit breaker, which from your description is probably bad. You can test it by using a paper clip and bypassing the CB and jumpering the two leads.

2. This is correct functionality when e-flashers are engaged.

Howdy,

Thank you for both of you..I thought that I'm a way beyond the right conclusion but I was almost there..:).

I will test with clip and if it's working I buy from those links one..:).

Before doing anything I was searching 15 amp circuit brakers..:).

What do you think..can I replace this original circuit breaker example with this..wires end need to be changed to circular connector

manual reset circuit braker

Ummmm...you really don't want a manual re-set CB. Do you really want to reach under the dash awkwardly every time it trips?

well..it's easier to press button than buy new one..I think? And that was not the point..point was that can I use something other than "oem" part...

Just tested to bypass CB and it didn't helped...so seems that only thing is that turn signal switch. Can that be tested some how?

Back