Seats not Level

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi, I installed both front seats just to test my seat heaters and noticed the driver seat is leaning a little to one side, passenger seat is okay I guess. My seat tracks aren't bent or anything and they are original to the seats, it's a 71 Convertible. What do you guys think I could do to the leaning seat to make it look level? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I installed both front seats just to test my seat heaters and noticed the driver seat is leaning a little to one side, passenger seat is okay I guess. My seat tracks aren't bent or anything and they are original to the seats, it's a 71 Convertible. What do you guys think I could do to the leaning seat to make it look level? Thanks in advance!
I had stress fractures on my driver's seat at the rear corners from years of use, which caused the rear seat frame that supports the seat back to bend backwards causing the seatback to lay backwards more than it should. I had to pull it back into position and weld the cracks back together. I also welded a 1 1/2" washer on the top of side of each corner where it cracked to reinforce it. Sorry, I don't have good pictures of the cracks or the repair.

Are you sure the tracks are for convertible. I do think they are different. Floor might be bent?

If you have Convenience Group there are spacers between seat frame and tracks for the wire to pass through. Are they present?

Seat Heater, what the heck, lol.
David, my seat tracks are original to the Seats/Convertible/Car, floors are not bent. I do not have the convenience group but I do have a set of spacers. Someone one here, can't remember who, told me the spacers are for earlier Mustangs, not our years. 

Yes, aftermarket seat heaters to warm my tired buns. LOL!

I had stress fractures on my driver's seat at the rear corners from years of use, which caused the rear seat frame that supports the seat back to bend backwards causing the seatback to lay backwards more than it should. I had to pull it back into position and weld the cracks back together. I also welded a 1 1/2" washer on the top of side of each corner where it cracked to reinforce it. Sorry, I don't have good pictures of the cracks or the repair.

Rich, been there, done that. My seat corners were cracked, just like yours and welded. I did not add a washer to reinforce. But I wasn't talking about my seats leaning backwards...they are sideways, maybe I can post a pic later on!

Usually the backrest is bent from years of getting in and out. If it is that you can try bending it back. Its not east though!!
Omie01, thanks for your post! I'm not sure if I was clear, my seat(s) is (are) leaning sideways. 

Maybe that way it is easier to reach into the glove lollerz box

Rich, been there, done that. My seat corners were cracked, just like yours and welded. I did not add a washer to reinforce. But I wasn't talking about my seats leaning backwards...they are sideways, maybe I can post a pic later on!
I also discovered cracks in the top of the metal seat frames. I sand blasted and had strips of metal welded to the inside and out side of the frame. This should be a standard fix to any seat frame before re-installing your new upholstery.

Terry, sometimes after working on the car for many hours and staying hydrated ::beer::  it might just be an optical illusion.

Like the beautiful lady at the bar at 3 AM. :chin:

You might try swapping the seats and tracks from driver to pass sides to see if it is a seat or the floor.

It is probably the seat, you can use shims to fix it

Terry, sometimes after working on the car for many hours and staying hydrated ::beer::  it might just be an optical illusion.

Like the beautiful lady at the bar at 3 AM. :chin:

You might try swapping the seats and tracks from driver to pass sides to see if it is a seat or the floor.

It is probably the seat, you can use shims to fix it
LOL, Don you might just be correct about the hydrating thing. Bars around here close at 2 am or earlier. I tried swapping the seats but either way, one is leaning. Where would I place the shims??

Use washers or make a spacer between the seat and track 

Since the seat is 40 inches tall a small spacer at the track, should make a decent movement at the top

Seat heater? Excellent — it’s in my plans when I get to that point. Be great to hear how they work out once you’ve got everything working.

Where did you put the seat heat controls?

Seat heater? Excellent — it’s in my plans when I get to that point. Be great to hear how they work out once you’ve got everything working.

There should already be spacers between the seat rail and the seat base. Maybe you are missing them on the one side, or make a couple of new ones a bit longer.

They work well, but I'll have to wait until it gets to cooler temperatures. As you can see I put the controls in my ashtray (I chose the ashtray location since my original is pitted and has holes already in it) hidden from view. The heaters have hi/low settings and they run on fused power and only work when the car is running. I don't remember what brand they are but cost was around 140 bucks for the pair, hope that helps! (Disregard the switch in the center)

There should already be spacers between the seat rail and the seat base. Maybe you are missing them on the one side, or make a couple of new ones a bit longer.

Rich, I have never ever seen these before, not on my car or anywhere else! Thanks for posting!

Back