• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB transmission inspection cover plate C-4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brand new zinc plated fresh from China 14.95 shipped to your door

eBay item number:

I keep forgetting to ask if anyone has the inspection cover that bolts to the bottom front of the automatic transmission for a C-4. I know C-4 did not come in 351 but PO swapped it out and did not put the cover in place. Where you unbolt the torque converter.

Thanks,
Did you ever find one?  Will a fmx plate fit? I thought it would? 

Let me know

Rod

No I did not get one do not think about it unless car is on lift, lol. I do not know if FMX will fit or not not up on AT parts.
I will do some checking. Rod

No I did not get one do not think about it unless car is on lift, lol. I do not know if FMX will fit or not not up on AT parts.
I will do some checking. Rod
Here is what I found out on the plate. I copied and pasted it below. I did measure mine and its measures the below measurements.

This inspection plate covers the lower section of the bellhousing. This allows for access to inspection torque converter as well as keep debris out of the bellhousing.

FMX and C4 with 164 Tooth Large Bellhousing

Measurements: From bolt hole center to center are 6 1/16 inches. Total width of plate is 10 1/4 inches height of plate is 4 1/8 inches

I made the mistake of assuming " one size fits all " - no it doesn't . Got the correct version from NPD.

You will need C 4 style to suit same trans you have.

See OMS reply above. He's on to it as usual.

PKJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the mistake of assuming " one size fits all " - no it doesn't .  Got the correct version from NPD.

See OMS reply above.  He's on to it as usual.

PKJ
I feel the need to defend myself here. Or if the company's on the internet made a error apologize for them.

So...........You tried a fmx on a c-4 transmission bell? Or v/s? 

The internet says c-4 and fmx are a match ( as I copied and pasted in prior message) and I measured my fmx plate and it is exact from the #s they posted for the 2 trannys and there bells.

The plate measurement #s I posted is for fitment to the Bell housing. I also took a picture of a line trace drawing with

measurements.

I made the mistake of assuming " one size fits all " - no it doesn't .  Got the correct version from NPD.

PKJ
I feel the need to defend myself here. Or if the company's on the internet made a error apologize for them.

The internet says c-4 and fmx are a match ( as I copied and pasted in prior message) and I measured my fmx plate and it is exact from the #s they posted for the 2 trannys and there bells.

The plate measurement #s I posted is for fitment to the Bell housing. I also took a picture of a line trace drawing with

measurements. Check EBAY ITEM # 372743637875 it also states this fits both c4 and fmx looks like they sold 18 of them, I would have thought someone would have complained they didnt fit?

PKJ

measurements. Check EBAY ITEM # 372743637875 it also states this fits both c4 and fmx looks like they sold 18 of them, I would have thought someone would have complained they didnt fit?

Mmm - you've got me now.  Bought a '73 Mach 1 and didn't know what trans was in it but the plate was missing.  Had the same problem with a '66 C 4 so just ordered that same type with a heap of other parts.  Eventually crawled under the car to fit it - nowhere near.  Later got the Marti report which showed the FMX so added that to next parts order.   Perfect - all lined up.  Called a local trans shop in the meantime & he told me FMX was different as I found out. 

Have since sold the C 4 plate so not able to check again.  I will put a tape across the FMX just for interests sake ( and my future info ) and check against the drawing you show.  Maybe what I got was wrong from supplier ? ?

No apologies necessary but this sequence of try, fail, try again, all good, prompted my response.  Good to know these things especially if passing incorrect advice to people.  Apologies from my part if necessary.

PKJ

I will try to get the vert on the lift today and do some checking. I need to figure out why my speedo cable is about 3" too short, that is housing and all. Maybe when the PO went from FMX to a C-4 the cable needed to change. Another of those AT expert questions to ask. 

Are all the speedo cables the same length for all transmissions? 

Like someone stated in another threat about speedo bounce he uses GPS. That is what I have been doing got a GPS at Goodwill for $18.00 it was a Garmin also.

ALL 3 inspection plates are different sizes with different bolt hole spacing

In the pic top down C6 - FMX - C4 smallest

David two cables available  73 inch and a 63 inch

Item #C9ZZ-17260-B

69-70 71-72 SPEEDOMETER CABLE, 4 SPEED

Exact reproduction of original - Not a generic replacement. Includes the correct rubber firewall grommet on the cable. Cable is 73 inches long.

Price: $23.95

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/images/addtocart.gif[/img]

Item #C9ZZ-17260-A

69-70 71-72 SPEEDOMETER CABLE, AUTOMATIC AND 3 SPD

Exact reproduction of original - Not a generic replacement. Includes the correct rubber firewall grommet on the cable. Cable is 63 inches long.

ALL 3 inspection plates are different sizes with different bolt hole spacing

In the pic top down C6 - FMX - C4 smallest

David two cables available  73 inch and a 63 inch

Item #C9ZZ-17260-B

69-70 71-72 SPEEDOMETER CABLE, 4 SPEED

Exact reproduction of original - Not a generic replacement. Includes the correct rubber firewall grommet on the cable. Cable is 73 inches long.

Item #C9ZZ-17260-A

69-70 71-72 SPEEDOMETER CABLE, AUTOMATIC AND 3 SPD

Exact reproduction of original - Not a generic replacement. Includes the correct rubber firewall grommet on the cable. Cable is 63 inches long.

Thank you for clearing up all the mis-guidance from the internet sellers! Appreciate you taking the time to put all 3 together for the comparison! David it looks like the mystery is solved and you should be set! Amen  :D

Rod

Back