1973 Mustang Convertible Marti Report (Deluxe)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice options for sure . Did it came with hub caps and trim rings ?
I think it would have as part of the Decor Group, an upgrade from standard full wheel color.  I have no idea though, when the wheels were switched/replaced.  Long term, I think I'll be going for the forged aluminums.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great car for sure has all the best options. Looked in Marti's book and 941 convertibles in 73 had the tape side stripes, 8,975 got the Décor Group, he did not list the NASA hood just the ram air which is different.

My Mach 1 was built May 11, 1973. I bet yours was used by the dealer it was not sold for so long.

Noticed in the picture you put with the hug caps and forged aluminum wheel. That is another of the showroom brochure errors. The center cap does not look anything like that. The pic looks like one that would snap in the center hole and does not show the 5 screws holding it. Also shows the center being black when they were red.

The Décor Group would have no affect on the trim rings and hub caps. Look on your buck tag. My 73 vert had Décor Group but lists the Sport Wheel covers in the options.

I just started cleaning up a set of the aluminum wheels to go on my 73 vert yesterday. Since I blew a tire I have to get 4 new ones so going to go with the aluminum wheels instead of the Sport covers. I spent hours on the covers and it takes 2-3 hours per aluminum wheel to clean and polish them. They were not polished from factory but it is very expensive to have them high speed turned again with diamond tool.

When you start searching for the aluminum wheels there are actually three different ones. The Mustang, Maverick and Comet came with the same wheel just different centers. The center hole on them is all the same and the smallest. There were two other versions that came on big mercury and the center hole is larger. Best to find the correct size center hole or make a bushing to fit your front hub and rear axle. You will have issues with the wheels not being centered or lugs coming loose. The center hole is there to locate the wheel and support the weight and the lug bolts just hold the wheel on.

Lots of good info!  Will be coming back to this, for sure -- when it's time.

But ya know about that brochure pic -- it was dated '72 so like most marketing, "Actual results may differ" ;)

First sold a few days after my 17th birthday...  Mine, now!
(Repost per the 3/10/21 msg the reports did not survive the conversion to new forum software)

Marti Deluxe Report.jpg

Back