center cap wheel colors red and black on a 73

John J

I have never seen the black center caps on a 73 with slotted aluminium wheels. When I bought mine it had red caps. Did certain body paint colors determine the color of the center caps. i was wondering if the black caps where even made by Ford back 1973

IMG_1790.thumb.JPG.eafcfc26be02f1336ed4e0b0b27fc912.JPG

1034494115_IMG_1790a(2).thumb.jpg.7f90fe320e134307f457ed11f547a668.jpg

I have never seen the black center caps on a 73 with slotted aluminium wheels. When I bought mine it had red caps. Did certain body paint colors determine the color of the center caps. i was wondering if the black caps where even made by Ford back 1973. Not sure why the photo was posted sideways.

John J

1803211641_IMG_1790a(2).thumb.jpg.b3739af9a9e7442115e17e9fa0165d7a.jpg

Yes they were all red but the Ford showroom brochure shows them black but also the center cap is not even screwed on.

I ordered them and my car came with red I have never seen black other than repo.

I had a tire separate the other day when I drove the 73 vert to Charlotte to visit the MOM. So I started cleaning up another set to go on the vert since I have to get new set of tires to match.

I think I only have a couple more NOS caps left might have to order the repo ones or clean up old ones.

When I was at the 55 ann Mustang show in Charlotte I took pic of black ones on a car at the track and pic of a set of wheels and caps for sale. The car also had incorrect lugs. If anyone has any lugs I need 40 of them. Set for car in museum and set for the vert.

I believe Daniel Carpenter is the supplier for the caps and I think it is original Ford tooling.

Early service caps still had the 5 holes and later ones only have 3.

The Ford part # for the lugs is D00Z-1012-A keep eyes open for any NOS you might find.

DSC-0988.jpg

DSC-0992.jpg

DSC-1009.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David