PCV valve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigneed86

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351c-4v
This engine doesn’t have the PCV valve on it. The engine doesn’t leak oil when it idles only when it was high RPM. Seeing if anyone knows where do I run the vacuum to?

To the base of the carburetor, some are front center, some are rear center. The cap with the open hole, that you show in your picture, is actually for the vent tube that connects the the air cleaner. There should be a place in the bottom of that air cleaner for a tube to connect to. The cap on the other side of the engine is where the PCV valve goes into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that one should have a hose fitting that takes off at a 45 Degree angle and goes to the side of the Air Cleaner.

kcmash

So I found a rubber hose going into the back of the Holley Carburetor, I was thinking of making a T and splice it into it. There is no port for the air cleaner. I have a few pictures let me know what you think?

I also wonder if I purchased ram air if it would work with this carb? and if it would have more power?

So I found a rubber hose going into the back of the Holley Carburetor, I was thinking of making a T and splice it into it. There is no port for the air cleaner. I have a few pictures let me know what you think?
Bad idea - if you splice into that line, you'll have near zero vacuum at the booster. If you don't have any other suitable places to put a vacuum fitting, drill and tap the back of the intake for one, or get a carb spacer with a port.  Move the brake booster line there, and hook the PCV up to the carburetor base. You want the PCV on the carb base to not cause a lean condition in the cylinders closest to the PCV port. Brake booster and other vacuum accessories don't matter, as they are not actively drawing air through like the PCV.

It's perfectly fine to run a PCV in the back passenger valve cover, the engine won't care as it's obviously no longer stock. I use a 90* unit off the shelf at my local parts store. Once the PCV is hooked up, you'll need to re-adjust your idle mixture settings and possibly go up a jet size or two.

Ram Air looks and sounds cool, but does pretty much nothing.

Thanks, I will use that port on the carburetor. I’m trying to figure out the right intake manifold gasket to fix the leak. I went to the auto parts store last night and they have two different gaskets. The number is Edelbrock 3744463 torker 351, I was wondering if anyone knew what the right gasket is?

Thanks, I will use that port on the carburetor. I’m trying to figure out the right intake manifold gasket to fix the leak. I went to the auto parts store last night and they have two different gaskets. The number is Edelbrock 3744463 torker 351, I was wondering if anyone knew what the right gasket is?

Any 4V intake gasket will work. I would stay away from the Felpro Printoseal gaskets with the blue silicone around the ports. They don't hold up well over time.

I don't know if the Torker II intake is made for the 2V heads and the 4V or just the 4V. If you look at the front corner of your heads you will see one of 4 things a "2" which indicate 2 barrel heads, a "4" which indicates 4 barrel heads a "4*" (its more of a dot than an asterisk) which is still a 4 barrel head or nothing which indicates a later 351M or 400 head which will fit, but is a 2v replacement with some smog updates that aren't good for performance. You need the right gasket for 2 or 4 barrel heads; beyond that, the intake brand is relatively irrelevant to gasket selection in your situation.

for a 2 v engine- https://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/211/10002/-1

for a 4V engine https://www.jegs.com/i/SCE-Gaskets/829/252103/10002/-1

Note that they will cover the heat crossover in the heads, since the factory cast iron intake is gone, that is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back