Power steering pump rebuild: confirming source

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
There are several good, but old, threads on p/s pump rebuilds. I’d thought I’d do it myself but by the time I’d build the proper shop with tools to do it, it would definitely be cheaper to find someone to do it for me.

After a very strong recommendation, but from 2009, I followed up with Stanger in San Antonio. Happy to report they’re still in business. Don’t be put off by the website (it’s dated ‘08).

http://www.stangerssite.com/

There are several good, but old, threads on p/s pump rebuilds. I’d thought I’d do it myself but by the time I’d build the proper shop with tools to do it, it would definitely be cheaper to find someone to do it for me.

After a very strong recommendation, but from 2009, I followed up with Stanger in San Antonio. Happy to report they’re still in business. Don’t be put off by the website (it’s dated ‘08).

http://www.stangerssite.com/
I used them in the past, they did a great job! Very recommended, I think I paid $88 for a complete rebuilt with choice of color!

What makes you want to rebuild your pump?  Curious because I think mine is dead.

Mine is full of fluid, I think I bled the air out of the system correctly, it doesn't leak, it doesn't groan or whine.  It just does not help with turning the wheels.

I don't think itt is generating enough pressure to help.  Anyone else agree?

kcmash

If it is not leaking and not making a noise should be pumping. It is a positive displacement pump unless it has eaten up the components inside not much can go wrong but leak.

BTW the pulley size on 73 is smaller diameter for some reason I guess they wanted to speed it up. With PS you should have no effort in steering the car.

When I installed the PS hoses I bled per the instructions by dumping the return hose into a waste container and cranking the engine until clean fluid came out.  It was pumping then, but not a lot of volume.  But, the car was not running, just cranking..

kcmash

Hallelujah! Got a call today: my p/s pump is ready. I thought it was taking longer but I guess two months isn't bad, plus it kept me from trying to do anything in the 100+ degree desert heat. Nice to know the internals were in "great shape"; needed nothing but a thorough clean, new gaskets and a bit of polish. $99. Hard to complain about that.

And now... once it arrives, I can get to work.

It took mine even longer than that. The guy is really busy but does nice work and it was worth the wait!
Agreed! A month ahead of expectations, too. And very fairly priced!

Last edited by a moderator:
And finally... arrived yesterday. Whew! Looks beautiful, too. Well, as much a p/s pump can look beautiful, but it does. And that also removes my last excuse for skipping work under the hood.

Randy does exceptional work at a great price and if you've got the time and patience, I absolutely recommend him.

Why not just buy a rebuilt core?  I don't know the difference between the years but for my 71 it only cost me $60.  You can get a pulley puller from most of the auto stores to use for free.  I got the rebuilt at Napa for $60 with old core.  Easy to press out of the canister and replace with the rebuilt unit.  If not in stock they will have with in a few days instead of months. Rattle can the housing and it looked like new.

Why not just buy a rebuilt core?  I don't know the difference between the years but for my 71 it only cost me $60.  You can get a pulley puller from most of the auto stores to use for free.  I got the rebuilt at Napa for $60 with old core.  Easy to press out of the canister and replace with the rebuilt unit.  If not in stock they will have with in a few days instead of months.  Rattle can the housing and it looked like new.

Because... ya have to pull both the pulley and then separately, the core and both are fraught with peril if you're not that confident to begin with.  Plus, I have no real shop space for working.  Also, it leaked. I decided to trust a pro.  Was about $60, also, plus shipping.

I have done the rebuilt sitting at my drafting table. Does not take space at all. Just need to take lots of pics as you come apart. The pulley is the tough thing. I have one I could never get off broke one puller even used torch and still would not come off. Gave up on it went with another pump. I think I got the kit from NPD do not remember price.

Back