Custom 71 coupe for sale

rolandmhall

Yes, very nice but $43,000 is a little steep.

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

I like it a lot, especially the inside.

Anybody know where those gauges come from?

Cheers,

Vincent.

I like it a lot, especially the inside.

Anybody know where those gauges come from?

Cheers,

Vincent.

I saw them on cl pony parts site

https://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vintage-usa-gauge-kit-black-1969-series-electronic-speedometer-1971-1973/p/IBK711P/

Oh, cool. Thanks!

43k and they painted the hood wrong, come on. Theses guys are really dreaming.

It's not 'wrong', it's CUSTOM and it's those 'custom' touches that makes it worth $43K.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

http://www.rccinnovations.com/Images/smlogo.jpg

Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

43k and they painted the hood wrong, come on. Theses guys are really dreaming.

It's not 'wrong', it's CUSTOM and it's those 'custom' touches that makes it worth $43K.

+1.  It's a custom pro touring setup.  Fuel injected 347 stoker with a built aod transmission all polished with ac.  If it was a 69 or 70 with the same specs and custom paint they would want 100k for it. For what it is its not too far off.  I was thinking more around 38k or so.

Even if there are here and there details to be noticed that could be done otherwise, I'm kinda glad to start see restored/clean 7173 in these price classes.

I mean, how can you let restore/mod a car by a shop for the average 20-25k we see our cars these days?

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Wow - pretty car.

I'm struggling with the idea that it's worth $43K, though.  Using the logic of, "it's a restomod, custom pro-touring set-up with a bunch of nice goodies," mine should now be worth somewhere in the $50K+ range then.  

Why would I say something like that?  Well, the underside of mine is a LOT nicer, it's an actual Mach 1 with Ram Air rather than a hardtop, and there's a trade-off between various things found on both cars.  For instance, we both have the same retrosound stereo w/sub (his is a single Kicker, mine has dual MTXs), both have AODs and warmed up engines (mine's a numbers-matching bored/balanced/blueprinted 351C, whereas his is a stroked 302 - both have aftermarket throttle-body fuel injection).  Both cars have Classic Auto Air HVAC.  My interior is repop Deluxe with ACC cut-pile carpet, his is a hodge-podge of repop deluxe and standard (still - nicely done).  He's got 17" aftermarket wheels & tires, where mine are 15".  I also added subframe connectors, traction bars, rear sway bar, electric fuel pump, intermittent wipers, modern 3-point seat belts, trunk carpet, power windows, power locks, louvers and a back-up camera, but he's got spoilers and stripes.

Like I said: it's a solid, pretty car... but if it's indeed worth $43K as it sits (with a hole in the center console where a clock should be and everything), then I am severely undervaluing mine.

On a side note, is that actually a GM 12-bolt under there?  It sure looks like the same rear pumpkin I had in my '78 K5 Blazer.  At the very least, it's a Dana 44.  WTF?!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Looks like a Dana 44 to me.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Looks like a Dana 44 to me.

Yeah - now that I think about it, the 12-bolt's a little more rounded, overall.  In my mind, I smashed up the 12-bolts with the 14-bolt's more angular shape (like a Dana 44).

But still, what's a Dana 44 doing under there?  Seems like a downgrade from a 9-inch, to me (and maybe someone got a little lazy and found a D44 already loaded up with disc brakes, rather than convert the 9-inch).   :whistling:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

They claim it's a Dana 60, which would be correct for 10 bolts, 9.75" ring gear, some versions had 35 spline axles. Ford used the semi-floater versions on heavy duty F100s in the 60s.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Makes more sense, now that you mention it - good eye. :thankyouyellow:

I suppose I should maybe read the write-up next time, rather than just look at all the pretty pictures.   :whistling:  :shootself:

However, I'm thinking that even a 347 stoker would have a hard time wrecking a 9-inch... especially, behind an AOD (the AOD being the weak link in the deal, IMHO).   :-/

Dana 60 seems a little bit like overkill - but hey, it's a restomod after all.  ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

You want a quality build, you pay... other then the rear spoiler and the honk'in exhaust hanging out the back, I like the car. Try and build one from ground up and see how much it costs. $85K? I would have been happy with this bill...

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

You want a quality build, you pay... other then the rear spoiler and the honk'in exhaust hanging out the back, I like the car. Try and build one from ground up and see how much it costs. $85K? I would have been happy with this bill...

I don't disagree - having actually built one from the ground up. ;)

I know I've got more than $45K wrapped-up in mine, but that's just for parts, paint, glass installation, and a scant few media-blasting jobs that I farmed out to some local businesses (that also doesn't include shipping costs or tax for the parts, or labor of any kind since I did just about everything myself).  Some loose, fuzzy math says I have almost 2000 hours involved (most weekends-only over the span of 4+ years) - what would be a fair price to factor in for labor if I were to pay myself as a non-professional?  I actually came up with the number of $50/hr, since most professional restoration shops are charging north of $90/hr (and up).  I figured that was fair, since I do have [most of] the necessary skills... just not professionally recognized.

Add it all up, and we're talking about a price tag of $150K+, just to break even.  On paper, it makes perfect sense when you can see where all of the money went.  In reality though... not so much.  There's no way in Hell mine would be valued over 6-figures.

Reality for me has mine valued in the $22-28K range, depending on the buyer.  Why so low?  It's an H-Code "Day Two restomod," which means it's basically a restored-to-mostly-stock car with some old-school cosmetic modifications.  Slap on a different set of wheels, and I also might be able to pass it off as a Pro-Touring Restomod, since there are plenty of modern non-cosmetic performance upgrades included.

Based on that mindset, and the going market-rate for vehicles of our vintage models/years, that's why I have difficulties with the $43K price for a restomodded originally non-descript hardtop.  I don't disagree with the sentiment of 'you get what you pay for' in the least... it's just a hard pill to swallow, all things considered.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I get it. But for me it sure seems like a sign that our mustangs are finally being recognized in the classic car market and the prices are beginning to reflect the trend. I say to everyone hold on to your cars because the values are definitely rising. Everywhere I go i get compliments and people saying how much they love the big mustangs.

In a few years that 43k is going to be a steal.

I get it. But for me it sure seems like a sign that our mustangs are finally being recognized in the classic car market  and the prices are beginning to reflect the trend.  I say to everyone hold on to your cars because the values are definitely rising.  Everywhere I go i get compliments and people saying how much they love the big mustangs.

In a few years that 43k is going to be a steal.

I agree 100% here.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg