Hello from Cologne, Germany

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73T5Conv

Reaction score
My Car
1958 Ford F100 Panel Truck I6 Manual
1968 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 C4
1972 Renault R16 Manual
1973 Ford T5 Convertible 351-4V C6 (my friends car)
Dear all,

this is just to introduce myself to this forum. I am about to help a friend building up her 73 T5 Convertible and I hope to get and share some insights with you here. 

I just finished my 4-year-restoration of a 68 Mustang Convertible 289 (no - I didn't work on it all the time - long pauses in between - and now, having it registered, the to do list still gets longer instead of shorter  :chin: ). Now, changing subject from 2nd to 4th generation. I'm curious about what's similar and what's different. I try to convince my friend to convert her car back to the rare T5 as it once left the facility in Dearborn (confirmed by Marti). Unfortunately it has been converted to a "regular" Mustang through the years. It's in a pretty good shape though with all metal work done. Reassembling and gathering all the T5 stuff are the aims.

Any 73 T5 around?

I am looking forward to the discussions and posts here. Thank you for having me.

Best regards,

Markus

Hello from North Carolina, USA!  I debated trying to write that in German, but my 2 years of high school German 25 years ago has failed me (what would Frau Lintner think?)... 

Oddly enough, I do remember the word for homework.

Dear all,

wow! - wanderlust comes up after those greetings from all over the states. Actually I lived in Charlotte, NC, for a year, visiting Pfeiffer University and working with Coca-Cola there. So special greetings to Mecklenburg County! ::thumb::  It has been such a great experience and a lot of fun. I took each and every opportunity to travel around the States from coast to coast and from north to south.  :cool:

But back to the Mustang. I'll post the whole story in pictures - thanks for the hint! Here's where we start:

Best,

Markus

At the end, I hope we'll have it in Medium Aqua paint as export T5 again (as it left Dearborn).  ;)

Whaddaya mean 2nd to 4th generation? They're ALL 1st generation up to 1973! 

Welcome from Omaha!
Thank you. You are absolutely right - my mistake - sorry! What I meant was changing subject from 1st to 3rd facelift within the 1st generation.

Nice to see a rare T5 about to be saved.

Looks like its been dipped in a yellow paint bucket. Lots of paint remover fun in perspective :)

Good side is that it looks like the paint protected it well.

Nice city you live into. Been there 3 times at the Koelnmesse for work and got there my first european exchanged speeding ticket on one of your huge bridges.

Still can't believe they spent time to track me and 5 euros worth of post just to charge me 8 euros.

Welcome from the northern Netherlands

Nice to see a rare T5 about to be saved.

Looks like its been dipped in a yellow paint bucket. Lots of paint remover fun in perspective :)

Good side is that it looks like the paint protected it well.

Nice city you live into. Been there 3 times at the Koelnmesse for work and got there my first european exchanged speeding ticket on one of your huge bridges.

Still can't believe they spent time to track me and 5 euros worth of post just to charge me 8 euros.

Welcome from the northern Netherlands
Hi Fabrice, welcome to digitalized EU! They just push a button to track somebody off the licence plate. Same happened to me in NL. Got a parking ticket there. Going to Oostkapelle next week with my 68 convertible!  :cool: Best, Markus

Welcome to the forum from another North Carolina native. I am in the mountains in Hendersonville about 100 miles from Charlotte.

I have a 72 T-5 Mach 1 sitting in my back yard, lol. Only one so far located in U.S.A..

There is also a T-5 Facebook page you might want to join. I have very little info on the 71 - 73 T-5.

I do have some NOS dash emblems. This car has gauges so there was no T-5 sticker above the radio where others have the Mustang and running horse.

The gas cap did not have Mustang written so it is same. Horn ring also just the running horse.

The sticker showing the tire size on the passenger door jam would have had the word Mustang cut from the corner. The would leave the Mustang emblem off of the front fender. I am not 100% sure of what emblem was on the front fender. There are several different opinions. You should try to find an original showroom sales brochure there.

There is an opinion that there were two versions of the T-5 one built for sale to Germans and one built for sale to the American soldiers stationed there. Cannot confirm. I know the Marti for the one I have just states it had the T-5 package, Export Label and Accessory Packaging. I have been told that was some sort of road side thing with maybe flares?

All of the fastback or Mach 1 models got rear window defoggers as standard on T-5.

I think the only three places on a convertible that the Mustang name would have to be deleted would be the front fenders, tire size sticker on the passenger door jam and the stick on the center dash that is not present with gauges.

I still have a couple NOS 1965 66 T-5 Fender emblems. Several people want them have seen on ebay for $1,500 I think I paid $20.00 for them. I have not found the two NOS dash stickers yet too much stuff. I can see them in an envelope in a storage bin somewhere just do not know where.

Here is pic of the door sticker on the 72 T-5 I have and also the Marti report.

There is one 1971 Mach 1 T-5 for sale here for I think $148,000. Dreaming for sure. Just because it is rare does not make it valuable.

I have seen coupe T-5 convertibles on craigslist in Atlanta in the past. I did talk with one and he found his in Columbia, South Carolina where the Army base is located. The U.S. military would ship your car home for one dollar so probably more T-5 in U.S. than Germany. There were 84 convertibles built in 1973 as T-5.

Lots if info here and we love to watch people build these cars.

Cheers,

2F05Q157604_stdrpt.pdf

Attachments

• 2F05Q157604_stdrpt.pdf
    165.3 KB · Views: 2
Welcome from another 73 Convertible owner (in the state of Delaware). I have many family members near Munich and Heidelberg. I have visited the southern portion near the Austrian border but never been north to Frankfurt or Cologne area. Would like to someday.

Back