Rotisserie options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjordan

Reaction score
My Car
1973 sports roof
1995 gt
So beginning the tear down and after stripping the interior out I find that parts of the floor needs replacing and a few spots in the trunk need repairing. Dad had new Oem inner and outer qtrs, tailight panel, rear valance, fenders and Mach 1 hood installed in the late 80’s but need some tweaking and attention. Curious as to what/how others have done to clean the underside using a rotisserie or diy structures. See several ideas on the web just hate to buy a rotisserie for a one time use. 

The plan is to totally replace/clean whatever needs to be underneath then paint.

img host

buy a decent rotisserie, use it, then sell it. Its way way worth it. It may take a little while to sell, but someone will buy it.

A little word of caution. You cannot or should not use a rotisserie for replacing panels. You need to have the chassis on a jig to hold everything in position to keep the door opening and everything in place. They do sell carts for that use. I have attached a link to a place in Georgia that does lots of panel replacement and you can see the jigs they have. Not saying go there but see how you should do it.

A rotisserie is used after you get the body panels replace to make it easier to sand and finish the panels.

The rotisserie can also be used if you media blast the car but never sand blast the exterior body panels or they will be trash.

Dip stripping is best way. There is a several month waiting list here for local source.  

I bought a used one for $800 and have been offered more than that for it. I bolt up to front bumper mounts and rear spring mount.

I was at an estate sale last year and two were sold for about half price and were brand new. Post up an wanted ad in craigslist I bet you get replies.

https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/

The one I have has rather large tires that make it easy to roll and one end pivots so you can steer it easier also. The one with Firebird on it is in a friends shop. He is putting the head lights and bumper on this week and the car will be done. That car had to have floors, quarters, tail light panel, inner fenders and all was done sitting on jig on floor.

If you want to keep the rotisserie looking like new so you can resale just wrap it in stretch wrap to keep the overspray off. I cleaned the one I have and painted just to make it look better.

Most definitely not sandblasting the body. Would like to the underside and engine compartment only but may just super sand and clean. Exterior will be sanded only or with a da. Underside will be easier accessed and an easier job on a rotisserie. Guess may have to bite the bullet and buy one. ?

I was in the same boat. I didn't want to spend the money for a one time use. So this is what I did. 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood. Some 4x4s and hard wear. done.

wood project 009.jpg

wood project 010.jpg

wood project 011.jpg

wood project 015.jpg

wood project 020.jpg

wood project 025.jpg

wood project 027.jpg

wood project 034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back