Back up lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt.db

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Coupe- oddball mystery hand me down thats full of surprises
Does anyone know where to get replacement light sockets for the back up lights?

My back up lights don't work. and unfortunately they look fine. is there anything that could be traced back to the wiring that I dont know about?

my brake lights work fine, turn signals etc. but without the back up lights i cant pass inspection. 

Does the vehicle being in reverse automatically turn the brake lights on? or do you have to apply the gas to make them turn on?

Backup lights are triggered by the Neutral Safety Switch/Backup Light switch for automagic trannies and by the Backup Light switch for Manuel Trannies. Both are powered by the top left most fuse. They should work whenever the key is in ACC or RUN, and the reverse is engaged in the tranny.

I know of no good exact source for replacement sockets, but I'm sure there are many out there that will work reasonably well. One problem I see fairly consistently is poor grounding at the ground tab.

Does anyone know where to get replacement light sockets for the back up lights?

My back up lights don't work. and unfortunately they look fine. is there anything that could be traced back to the wiring that I dont know about?

my brake lights work fine, turn signals etc. but without the back up lights i cant pass inspection. 

Does the vehicle being in reverse automatically turn the brake lights on? or do you have to apply the gas to make them turn on?
Work backwards - put the ignition key to ON ( don't start the engine )  Slide the shifter back & forth through the reverse position and see if you have reverse lights at any point.   Might be the neutral safety switch or linkage out of alignment.    If no lights, there's your next clue - no power getting back there.  May be sockets, may be not.

From this point it could get complicated.  If you're O K with elec - trickery, go through the obvious test light / multi meter checks.   NSS is available from most suppliers but I wouldn't buy one until you prove the source of the problem.  Others more au fait with this will add more info.

Yes, the white lights come on with trans selector in reverse.

No. Reverse lights & brake are two separate things, you don't have to be in reverse for brake lights to come on.

No, you don't have to rev the engine.  

Stick with it.

PKJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through some troubleshooting on my back-up lights. It was a weeklong process, but what I finally found was that power was not getting to the switch. I replaced the bulbs and switch first, then the fuse, cleaned the fuse clips, then started checking the wiring. According to the wiring diagram, there is a connector (C 501) behind the radio that brings power through the backup light circuit as well as radio lighting. I pulled the aftermarket radio that the PO had installed, and found that they had cut the White/Purple wire that powers the backup light switch to use it for power to the radio. Actually they cut the entire connector out. Dumbass PO! Anyway, I found the other end of the W/P wire and spliced them together. Backup lights work fine now!

Like some are saying do not just go start replacing things. You should be able to check at the sources if your Neutral switch is getting power and it power is leaving the switch. If getting and not leaving switch bad or not adjusted correctly.

One thing on any bulb socket or connection on these cars use the electrical grease. Clean the bulb bases, sockets wire connections and grounds with scotch brite, steel wool sand paper what ever you have to remove any corrosion. Then apply the grease. Works great on trailer lights or camper lights.

If you tail light and back up lights are not all that bright you can help that also. The white tail light housings over time turn dark or brown inside. Take you tail light out remove the lens and I blast mine to remove the crud layer. Then I spray with the Fusion Paint from Krylon. I use to brighten up the front turn signals on the 73 also. Get new gaskets for the lights and be sure they are Daniel Carpenter. You will probably have rust around the seal surface and might have some holes. If you do not want the snow ball to get to big you can clean the rust off and patch with some epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Seal it all up with some POR and use 3-M strip caulk to seal it up when you install them back. 

I am betting the switch is not adjusted right especially if a manual transmission. Could also just not be plugged in or even missing.

Back