1972 MUstang Mach 1 Mecum Denver

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so

I like it except for the bent front bumper and really really really bad hood black out layout

At least the black out is way to short so it could be repainted correctly without doing the whole hood.

I watched a few go through yesterday on computer. If it sells like some did on there it will not break $20,000. Several had already sold I saw on their site but I could not figure out how to show selling price.

The care here is not very detailed for sure so I suspect lots of rattle can restore. I will say less than $15,000.

Wish they were more but just is not going to happen.

Guy on another site put his 73 Q code 4 speed vert up and wants $40,000 and was not done correct at all. He even called it a Cobra Jet, lol.

I’m starting to realize that you can spend lots of money on these cars. Project after project, good thing I’m not trying to flip my car. My car getting ready for paint right now. Sticking with white but it’s going to have metallic silver. The silver should make The edges light up.

I'm surprised it sold for as much as it did. I logged into my Mecum account and it said $29,700. Many things up front do not line up, plus the bent bumper. It almost looks like the hood is not locked down all the way. On that driver's side view, the exhaust seems to end under the middle of the trunk (?). It is not a particularly rare car either, but has a good amount of options. Looks like musclecar restomods are doing quite well at the auction, and some excellent stock musclecars went for very little money.

The resto mod cars seem to bring way more that the all originals now. There was a 57 T-bird with Coyote engine went all the way to $165,000 way more that originals bring even with 2 - 4 or supercharger.

So I guess there was a $2,700 buyers fee on top of the $27,000 for the car. The black on the hood looked like a bunch of kids did it in their day care. Wrong size, shiny and nothing like original. Would like to know the reason the buyer liked the car.

The car sold with the shiny hood and wrong shape. I brought $27,000 I could not believe that. Someone does not know their Mustangs.

Most cars are not bringing what it would cost to do the work much less find the car. Lots of no sales.
I wish you would be a little more positive on these car's apparent values... As far as I am concerned, the prices you feel these car's should bring are ridiculously low, not even in the ballpark for what real world prices are in the market. when i saw your estimate above, I laughed as I felt the car would bring more and it did. Yes, it has issues, but the average auction buying public really have little knowledge of these concerns and buy car's on impulse... Its when it gets to bigger money that the average buyer is out and the knowledgeable (LOL) buyer's are going to critique the car and decide its value. #25-$30k today for a nice shiny example of an early muscle car is pretty standard fair, I think... Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lookin' car with a few minor issues.  I'll bet it's really an H-Code, though - most M-Codes I've seen are manual transmissions (the Edelbrock Performer intake kind of gives it away, without actually seeing the VIN).  And then the owner threw every cosmetic factory trim option they could at it - I'll bet it was a no-stripe/no-spoiler car with Dog Dishes originally.

A good price for the seller (maybe a little high... then again, maybe the market's just coming up) but I'll bet the buyer is pretty happy, regardless.

I watched a few go through yesterday on computer. If it sells like some did on there it will not break $20,000. Several had already sold I saw on their site but I could not figure out how to show selling price.

The care here is not very detailed for sure so I suspect lots of rattle can restore. I will say less than $15,000.

Guy on another site put his 73 Q code 4 speed vert up and wants $40,000 and was not done correct at all. He even called it a Cobra Jet, lol.

So David if this is only worth 15K

What do think your brown car is worth?

The car sold with the shiny hood and wrong shape. I brought $27,000 I could not believe that. Someone does not know their Mustangs.

Most cars are not bringing what it would cost to do the work much less find the car. Lots of no sales.
I wish you would be a little more positive on these car's apparent values... As far as I am concerned, the prices you feel these car's should bring are ridiculously low, not even in the ballpark for what real world prices are in the market. when i saw your estimate above, I laughed as I felt the car would bring more and it did. Yes, it has issues, but the average auction buying public really have little knowledge of these concerns and buy car's on impulse... Its when it gets to bigger money that the average buyer is out and the knowledgeable (LOL) buyer's are going to critique the car and decide its value. #25-$30k today for a nice shiny example of an early muscle car is pretty standard fair, I think... Thanks.
Since this is an auction, it does not reflect reality. If you put that car up for sale through normal means, it would bring slightly above David's price IMO. The auction buyers are going there with some money to burn, or a pre-approved credit line. If you watch the floor people, they are out there with the bidders, encouraging them to bid more, adding pressure and excitement. Like you said, impulse buy. The more the car sells for, the more the auction company makes. 

IMO, the reason musclecar values have gone through the roof is the easy access to financing. Twenty years ago, a bank would have laughed at you if for attempting to get an auto loan on a 30 year old car. Now with all the shady dealers, they can't wait to sign you up for 72 months a $500/month +.

So David if this is only worth 15K

What do think your brown car is worth?
I came back to edit. I guess I consider the value ZERO since I have ZERO insurance on it. 

Not that much really. Considering donating to the MOM. I have followed these cars since new and I seldom see one done correct. If it is done correct you will have very close to six figures in the car and it would not sell for maybe $35,000. Rarity or condition of a car has little to do with value. Let a movie star fart in the seat or Carol Shelby own it and it goes through the roof. That is due to vanity of the rich buyer to say look what I have nothing to do with it being a good car. They could drop $100,000 every day and never spend all their money.

The most I was ever offered for the car was $25,000 and it was running and in the best shape it was ever. 

At show yesterday and was asked many times what it was, 1973 Mustang vert, they had never seen one, lol. There were three times as many mustangs there as Camaro or Pontiac but they got the awards? There is the one odd MG that resides here. It is a 1948 factory race car with all aluminum body and super charger mounted out front driven off the crank. He got an award for best car there from the show sponsor, He also got best car, voted by entrants and also most popular car at the show. That is a tiny little 4 cylinder but catches everyone's eye due to being polished aluminum body. 

The person that bought the car at the auction had some desire for that particular car, or two people did, to run the price up. It was not for the condition of the car, originality or rarity. He might of made his first score in one years ago and trying to scratch his middle age itch, lol. 

I have never been able to find those buyers when I am selling anything. 

Met another guy at the show that found a GT-500 Shelby in barn locally and got it for a steal. He also has a I think he said a 1975 Mustang with 100 miles on it. They are stashed and hidden everywhere and as more our age pass on the family will sell cheap. He was also given a NOS 427 side oiler block by someone in the area. They knew he was a Ford guy and just gave it to him. 

Like they say one man's junk is another man's treasure. Willing the price of these cars to go up just does not work. There has to be a demand to raise price and right now there is not a demand that I see.

All the consignment places are loaded with them and one I talked to in Charlotte about one they had listed told me the owner had set the price and he thought it was way high. Just like auction they get a percentage for a sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since this is an auction, it does not reflect reality. If you put that car up for sale through normal means, it would bring slightly above David's price IMO. The auction buyers are going there with some money to burn, or a pre-approved credit line. If you watch the floor people, they are out there with the bidders, encouraging them to bid more, adding pressure and excitement. Like you said, impulse buy. The more the car sells for, the more the auction company makes. 

IMO, the reason musclecar values have gone through the roof is the easy access to financing. Twenty years ago, a bank would have laughed at you if for attempting to get an auto loan on a 30 year old car. Now with all the shady dealers, they can't wait to sign you up for 72 months a $500/month +.
I'm with you on this- in fact if the auction company wanted to make more they'd have all pretty girls out among the crowd.  They do have a few as it stands now, and I saw one guy get a nice big hug after he bought his whatevermobile.  Also, notice that drinking of alcohol is highly encouraged at these major auction events, which helps to open wallets!  lol  If you have a high enough FICO score and income, there are some great places to finance these types of cars.  Many shady places as well.

On the financing issue. A local guy here had gotten a loan on his 71 Mustang vert. It was yellow and a 6 cylinder so not so special. He passed away and they could not sell the car for any where near what the loan was for. They needed $10,000 and nobody would even make an offer. Was on CL and I think they had on Ebay with nothing but joke bidders. The loan company now has the car sitting in their lot. It might bring $3,000. 

If the loan companies use the pricing that say Hagerty does it is way out of line. They want to sell you insurance for way more value than your car is worth. 

Oh BTW someone must have got in touch with Mecum they want to talk to me about selling my Mach 1 in the MOM they left me a phone message yesterday, lol. Small world.

I think I could handle the auction much better when I am dead.

well the old saying......"Theres a sucker born every minute" is still alive and well. I swear I see people selling good cars for 15-20k and I tell them take it thru Mecum, you might get more. They dont listen. These TV auctions bring out all the stupid people with money. As long as it looks great, people will pay for it.

Back